Whether you’ve just created your blog or you’re a publishing pro, generating traffic for your website is a never ending task. There are many ways to go about this, such as link parties or other useful resources, but for a food blog one of the most consistent ways is by submitting your recipes to what are called “photo grazing” sites.
But what exactly are these photo grazing sites? In a nutshell, they are designed to showcase a small thumbnail of your best food photo and, in return, they direct traffic back to your site. It’s the same concept that makes Pinterest so popular – people eat with their eyes, and these photo grazing sites are designed to showcase delicious looking food.
The good news? There are plenty of photo grazing sites out there that want your delicious looking food.
While these types of sites love it when you submit your food photos, each of them have their own guidelines of what photos they’ll accept. Some have strict requirements for quality while others will accept any photo and let their readers decide how it ranks. Sometimes it can be challenging to get your photos accepted or noticed on these sites, but along the way it will also help you improve your photography – which, in turn, will improve your blog overall.
Another great benefit of submitting your content to photo grazing sites? Many of them are visited by even larger publications that are on the hunt for content for their next roundup post, like Huffington Post or BuzzFeed, just to name a few. Trust me, you definitely want one of your recipes to be front and center the next time Martha Stewart visits.
So now that we know photo grazing sites are extremely beneficial to your food blog, how and where do we submit to them?
Submitting to Photo Grazing Sites
For most photo grazing sites, you will need to create an account before you can submit. Once you’ve registered, there will be a clearly marked submission link, either along the top navigation or in your profile area.
Before you start submitting, I recommend collecting all of the info you’ll need to fill out the submission forms. I typically pull up notepad and type in this info:
- Featured Post Image (just know where the file is on your computer)
- Post URL
- Post Title
- Post Description
- Post Tags (type up to 10 that you think will be a good fit)
I have a fairly large list of sites that I submit all of my recipe posts to (the links to which are below). To save my sanity, these are the steps I follow to submit to all of the photo grazing sites at once:
- Open a new browser window, and then create a tab for each photo grazing site (again, links are below).
- Pull up the submission form for each photo grazing site.
- First, copy the URL of your post, and then go through each browser tab and attach your food photo and paste the URL. I do both of these steps at once. I also make any category selections if the photo grazing site requires it.
- Next, go through each piece of info you collected for your recipe and copy + paste it into the corresponding fields for each submission form. Not all sites will require the same info, so don’t worry if you can’t find a field. I typically copy and paste in this order: Title, description, then tags.
- Confirm that everything has been filled in, then hit submit on each tab. Be sure to wait for the page to load – some sites require an additional “confirm & submit” button before the recipe is finally submitted.
List of Photo Grazing Sites to Submit to
This is the list of photo grazing sites that I currently submit to. Overall, I only submit to sites that 1) require a link back to my site for the recipe, 2) accept all types of food, and 3) will accept the same photo I used for my website (note: no photo grazing site likes text overlay on a photo, so keep that in mind). If any of the below links break those rules, I put them in a separate category.
- Accepts All Food
- Requires Special Photos
- Food Porn Daily – Images must be 1200×800 or larger
- Food-Type Specific
LAST UPDATED SEPTEMBER 2015