"The perfect side dish to any meal! Broccoli baked with olive oil and garlic then sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Only 122 calories per serving!"
Looking for the best oven baked broccoli around? A garlic broccoli recipe – or, better yet, roasted broccoli with parmesan – that will be the best side dish to complete your dinner? Then look no further! I guarantee that this recipe for garlic parmesan broccoli is the easiest and best way to make broccoli (and I know you have some in your freezer!)
Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t give side dishes as much credit as they deserve. I hardly ever make them, but I’m also just cooking for The Husband and I – more times than not, it feels like too much work to go to all that trouble for just the two of us.
Typically I make so much of the “main” dish that neither of us wants to even think about having more food. In our small little world of two, it solves the problem and everyone still goes to bed happy.
But even still, there are times that those “main” dishes don’t have enough substance to stand on their own as a full meal. You know, kinda like every fish and chicken recipe out there. For those moments, I have a few go-to side dishes up my sleeve, and this recipe for cooking broccoli in the oven just happens to be one of them.
In fact, I keep our freezer stocked with jumbo bags of frozen broccoli from Costco just so I have the ingredients on hand whenever a side dish crisis arises.
I only have to take out 1-2 of the frozen bags, thaw them, cook all the other food, and then finish up with this garlic parmesan broccoli recipe for a tasty side dish.
It seriously doesn’t get any easier than that, amirite?
Other than, you know, not having to make a side dish at all – and now we’ve come full circle.
Besides, if I skipped the side dish, then I’d have to miss out on this, and that’d just be a tragedy.
In fact, I like this “side dish” so much I’ve even made it as a midday snack (or is that just called lunch?) for myself while The Husband was at work. All things considered, the nutritional value for this dish is surprisingly awesome for as good as it tastes. (Which it does. Taste amazingly good, I mean.)
It’s only 122 calories per person, or 354450 calories if you make 1/2 the recipe for an individual meal.
Not too shabby if you ask me!
These tender broccoli morsels are easy, tasty, healthy.
What’s not to like?
notes & tips for garlic broccoli recipe:
- One of the ways that this recipe “works” is the cook time. It’s tricky to know how to oven roast broccoli, but the key is a higher temp (425 degrees F) coupled with a slightly shorter cook time (10-12 minutes.) I’ve tried many recipes for cooking broccoli in the oven but this has been the best ratio I’ve found so far.
- This has been asked a few times in the comments, so I wanted to address it here: I talk about using frozen broccoli with this recipe, but I thaw it before cooking. This doesn’t take long – just put the broccoli in a strainer and run some lukewarm water over it until it’s soft (usually takes a few minutes). Then that’s it! Pat the broccoli dry and you’re ready to cook!
- I’ve had this oven baked broccoli recipe saved on my computer for what feels like forever, and sadly that means that I’ve lost the original source I got it from. I always like to credit my sources when I can and this is one time where I won’t be able to. It’s a shame, cause I personally feel this is the best way to make broccoli and I wish I could give credit where credit is due!
- Damn Delicious has an almost identical version of this recipe on her site, but with one key difference: she adds a little bit of lemon juice at the end with the parmesan cheese. The Husband is not a fan of lemon, so this roasted broccoli with parmesan recipe works better in our house without it, but it’s a great option to try if you love lemon and want a kick more flavor. One tablespoon of lemon juice should be enough.
Garlic Parmesan Broccoli
The perfect side dish to any meal! Broccoli baked with olive oil and garlic then sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Only 122 calories per serving!
- 24 ounces broccoli ideally florets, fresh or thawed (not frozen)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
In a large bowl, add broccoli, olive oil, garlic, and salt to taste. Toss broccoli with a spoon until it's completely coated.
- Pour broccoli on the prepared baking sheet, spreading out into an even layer. Scoop out any garlic & oil left in the bowl and sprinkle it over the broccoli.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until broccoli is cooked through.
Sprinkle cooked broccoli with parmesan cheese before serving.