It's been a bit of a chicken week here at my house, but that's nothing new – chicken breast is my go-to dinner option when I've got nothing else up my sleeve.
Well, chicken breast and Tuna Helper.
And because of this, I'm constantly looking for new ways to cook and prepare my beloved chicken. Last week's honey balsamic chicken was absolutely amazing and pretty hard to top, so this time around I wanted to spice things up by going in a completely different direction.
And by “different direction” I mean I added bacon.
Around the chicken.
Behold: bacon wrapped chicken!
Being the chicken connoisseur that I am, I can't count how many recipes I've tried that use cream cheese in some way. Chicken and cream cheese is a very popular combination, but in most cases, the cream cheese is only there to provide a
Chicken and cream cheese is a very popular combination, but in most cases, the cream cheese is only there to provide a creamy texture. The flavor always seems to be handled by some other blend of herbs and spices, completely overshadowing the tart cream cheese.
That's not the case with this recipe!the cream cheese flavor is front and center, with the bacon (
Tthe cream cheese flavor is front and center, with the bacon (mm, bacon!) and chives only enhancing it. Even I, the Chicken Recipe Master that I am (that title's still available, right?) was surprised by how flavorful it was. Kinda makes me wonder why I've been treating cream cheese so badly all these
Kinda makes me wonder why I've been treating cream cheese so badly all these years, because the cream cheese simply made this dish.
So I hate to do this to you guys again, but this'll be (yet another) short post. The holiday weekend is certainly doing it's number on me, making me even more pressed for time on top of everything else I'm trying to juggle.
Hopefully the rest of this week will be slower and I can resume treating you all to more of my corny jokes. Because that's totally why you're here, for my armature comedy hour.
It certainly has nothing to do with the food or photos of bacon wrapped chicken like this.
Okay, maybe it has a little to do with the photos.
But probably just the bacon.
Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
A base recipe for tender chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese and chives wrapped tightly within crispy bacon. Make it as written or add more flavors!
rate this recipe
- 2 lb chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp chives chopped
- 12 slices bacon (3 pieces per chicken breast)
|Change servings? servings||Change the Units?|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook bacon until it begins to curl and turn red - you want it to be partially cooked but still flimsy. Place bacon on a paper towl while preparing other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese and chives. Set aside.
- Place chicken breasts in a plastic bag. Using a meat mallet, flatten chicken breasts until they're about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spoon a portion of the cream cheese mix and spread it in the center of the chicken breast, keeping at least a 1/2 inch gap from the edges clear.
- Starting with the smallest end, roll up the chicken breast. With the seam side of the chicken facing up, wrap pieces of bacon around it so that the ends of the bacon are tucked beneath the chicken. Wrapping this way should secure the bacon and keep the chicken wrapped. If needed, use toothpicks to help keep the chicken wrap together.
- Place chicken in a baking dish of your choice (I used a 9x13 I had handy) and bake for 30 minutes. Turn oven to broil for 5 minutes to crisp the bacon. If desired, sprinkle more fresh chopped chives on top. Serve immediately.
Please note that I am not a certified nutritionist; I am merely a quirky girl who loves food. Any nutritional information that is discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates. If nutrition is important to you, I highly encourage you to verify any data you see here with your favorite nutrition calculator.