I know it’s a little late in the season to be posting about soup, but I needed it in my life this week.
I had a 48 hour bug hit me on Tuesday, and I spent the next two days laying in bed and absolutely pining for (of a things) a big bowl of potato soup.
I have no idea where this craving came from, other than I haven’t made this soup in forever (you know, like a year or two) and the fact that it was probably the one thing in the house I didn’t already have ingredients to make.
Of course I would develop an irrational craving for that one thing.
So when the clouds finally cleared on Thursday, I did what any semi temperamental redhead would do:
I woke up bright and early, gathered my materials, and I made a freaking epic pot of potato soup.
Take that, 48 hour bug!
Now I’ve got soup for days.
And oh, this soup. What I love most about it is how creamy it is, and all without adding a single can of cream of chicken or a block of cream cheese – this recipe uses flour, sour cream, and milk for a thick texture and smooth taste. I tend to like my soups a little on the mellow side, but you can kick it up a notch by adjusting how much salt, pepper, and red pepper fakes you use.
You could even go crazy and add extra veggies and meat, but you should know that at that point you no longer have a soup; you have a meal. Or at least, that’s what it means in my world. Here in Chrisyland, we think loaded soups can be a meal and that it’s totally logical to rage a food war against an illness that’s already past.
But to get back to the point, you know what the best part about soup is?
The leftovers heat up well.
We’ve got a lazy weekend coming up, and I’ll be so happy to curl up with a warm bowl of soup every evening, even if the weather outside is trying it’s best to make me want ice cream instead.
Not yet, Summer.
Not just yet.
Creamy Crock Pot Potato Soup
Thick, creamy, and flavorful potato soup made the easy way: right in your crock pot.
rate this recipe
- 20 oz potatoes shredded (I used 1 pkg Simply Potatoes Shredded Hashbrowns)
- 29 oz chicken broth low sodium, 2 14.5 oz cans
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch pepper to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream plus more for topping
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded plus more for topping
- 1 cup veggies your choice (optional)
- 1/2 cup meat your choice (optional)
- 2 tbsp chives fresh and chopped
|Change servings? bowls||Change the Units?|
- In a 5 quart crock pot (or larger), add shredded potatoes, chicken broth, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Set cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, flour, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Add mixture to crock pot and stir in any additional veggies of your choice (optional). Cover and let cook for another 30 minutes.
- Stir soup before serving. Garnish with more cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and chopped chives.