When you're cooking for other people, you have to face an inevitable truth:
Almost always, you're going to run into conflicts over what someone does or doesn't like to eat.
And because it's just not possible to please everyone all the time, you make compromises.
In my house, that means I have to balance my need for flavorful food (not spiciness, but lots of taste) with The Husband's preference to keep everything bland.
Well, okay, I call it “bland” while he'll say that he “just likes the flavor of the food.”
But whatever we agree to call his love of base ingredients, it means that I can't get too crazy with elaborate flavors or spices or garnishes or whatever else I would normally like to add to a dish.
And this, my friends, is what brings me to today's recipe, because it was one of those rare moments when we found a dish we both not only liked, but loved.
Plus, bonus points are awarded to this recipe because it's ridiculously easy to make, seeing as it only takes three ingredients!
The prep time for the recipe itself is only five minutes – you just grease a pan, dip the chicken in the spices, place chicken in pan, and bake – but the total bake time rounds out at about 50 minutes.
That's a little longer than I'd normally like my weeknight dinners to take, but those 50 minutes also give you ample time to whip up a few delicious and easy sides.
When I recently made this dish, I made some easy flavored rice (nothing fancy, just out of a box), diced up some cherry tomatoes, and laid it all on a bed of baby spinach and kale.
And voilà! You know have a complete and tasty dinner made in less than an hour.
Did you try this recipe?
Do you have a suggestion or correction?
Leave a comment & tell me about it!
This recipe was originally published on September 11th, 2014. It received a TLC update with new photos on August 31st, 2016.
Sweet Italian Chicken
A 3-ingredient dinner that's perfect for a busy weeknight: tender and juicy chicken baked in sweet Italian seasonings that create a tasty glaze when cooked.
rate this recipe
- 1 pkg dry italian dressing mix (.7 ounce)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2-3 lbs chicken breast
|Change servings? servings||Change the Units?|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large baking dish (9x13 or comparable size) with baking spray. Set nearby.
- In a large bowl, add brown sugar and dry Italian dressing mix and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Set nearby.
- Prepare the chicken for cooking, such as rinsing with or cutting off excess fat. Dip chicken in sweet Italian seasoning until both sides are coated, then place in prepared baking dish. Once all of the chicken is in the dish, pour any remaining seasoning on top of the chicken.
- Cook for 50 minutes, turning the chicken once after 25 minutes.
- Serve chicken immediately with sides. To do as featured, serve warm rice on a bed of baby spinach and kale with cut cherry tomatoes.
Please note that I am not a certified nutritionist; I am merely a quirky girl who loves food. Any nutritional information that is discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates. If nutrition is important to you, I highly encourage you to verify any data you see here with your favorite nutrition calculator.