"Need a new go-to side dish for busy weeknights? Making fried rice at home is always a great staple, and this easy recipe comes together in just 10 minutes!"
If you’re on the hunt for a simple fried rice recipe, I promise it doesn’t get much easier than this! It only takes 10 minutes to make this classic Chinese side dish.
This recipe was born of necessity, seeing as how it’s been a bit of an impromptu “Chinese Food Week” over here at my house. Because, you see, after making delicious dishes like Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken and Teriyaki Chicken Casserole, I simply had to come up with a side dish to go along with them.
What can be more classic and appropriate than a fried rice?
And, you guys, when I say simple, I mean it. If you can make minute rice, then you’re already half way there to side dish glory.
Now, don’t get me wrong. We have a very nice rice cooker sitting on our counter that does a wonderful job of cooking rice. But as nice as it is, it still takes 20 minutes to cook the rice alone, let alone anything else you want to do with it, and you know what? Sometimes that’s simply too long, especially when I’m trying to orchestrate the rest of our dinner.
And honestly, I think what it boils down to is that I’ve been thoroughly spoiled by years (and years and years) of the convenience of Minute Rice. And really, why should there be a lot of fuss over such a low-key side dish? I know there’s some difference in the quality, but when it’s at the end of the day and I need dinner ASAP, I’m just so happy to be eating rice that I don’t even notice.
I appreciate all rice because it all tastes amazing.
And being able to make fried rice at home?
All that being said, if you’d rather use a higher quality rice, this recipe could easily be made with it – it’ll just take a bit longer than 10 minutes. Outside of the rice, the measurements and the ingredients would be the same. And from there, it’s all a matter of what you have the taste or the time for.
But as for me?
I’m perfectly content to have this low-key side dish to any meal.
notes & tips for this simple fried rice recipe:
- I know I’m probably partial, but I can’t stress it enough: I really feel like this should be the go-to recipe for anyone who wants to know how to make easy egg fried rice!
- As mentioned above, this recipe is designed to be made with Minute Rice. For those of you who already know how to make minute rice, I’m sure you understand how much of a time saver it is!
- All that being said, if you prefer traditional rice, we have a rice cooker similar to this rice cooker model and enjoy using it when we have the time.
- This is also a recipe you can easily adapt. Want to use different veggies? Want to use more egg? Go for it! You can even add meat, but be sure to adjust cooking times so that the meat is thoroughly cooked through (or use precooked meat).
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out these other Chinese-inspired eats: Teriyaki Chicken Casserole and Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken.
This recipe was originally published on October 29th, 2014. It received a TLC update with new photos on January 24th, 2017.
10 Minute Simple Egg Fried Rice
Need a new go-to side dish for busy weeknights? Making fried rice at home is always a great staple, and this easy recipe comes together in just 10 minutes!
In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring water and soy sauce to a boil. When water bubbles, pour in uncooked rice and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes (per package directions).
- While rice finishes, heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, vegetables, and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until garlic begins to turn golden brown.
- Crack egg directly into skillet and scramble with vegetables and garlic. When egg is cooked (roughly 2-3 minutes), pour the finished rice in the frying pan.
- Stir rice with egg, vegetables, and garlic until any excess water from the rice evaporates, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.