About Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Boats
I’m pretty excited to share this recipe with you guys, for two main reasons:
For one, a few weeks ago I asked my email subscribers what kind of recipes you’d like to see from me. Breakfast was a top ranking result of that survey, so this quick and easy breakfast should be a welcome addition the recipe arsenal of this little food blog.
And for two, these breakfast boats just happen to be exactly the type of dish that will quickly become a recipe staple at my house. Because you see, whenever I send out The Husband out to pick up something quick and easy for dinner, you know what he almost always comes home with? Pizza boats, of all flavors and types. I don’t know what it is, but we both love tasty ingredients baked on a loaf of bread.
So when brainstorming for this recipe, I knew what I wanted: a pizza boat “style” recipe made with delicious breakfast foods. Easy enough!
But when you add in Sargento® Sliced Cheese?! Even better!
Now, I’ll be the first to admit that The Husband and I are a sucker for all types of breakfast sandwiches, but I always prefer when we can make them at home. This way I can not only control the ingredients but also the quality of the ingredients.
With Sargento‘s 100% real, natural cheese, I can get the flavor I want in all our breakfast (and dinner and lunch) staples without having to sacrifice on taste or use a pasteurized process “cheese food.” Plus, I love that it’s sliced from blocks of real, natural cheese for easy use and is available in 23 (!!) delicious varieties.
For this particular recipe, I went with Sargento‘s Sharp Cheddar. It added the perfect cheesy edge to start our morning!
Because really, what better way is there to start your morning than toasted bread, fluffy egg, crispy bacon, and melted cheese? I sure can’t think of any!
Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Boats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay french bread, cut side up, on the baking sheet. Brush or spray on a small amount of olive oil on the top of each piece of bread.
- If your chosen bread is very soft or you'd just like the bread to be more crispy, place olive oil-coated bread in the oven and bake 5-10 minutes or until bread is toasted to your tastes. Remove bread from oven and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook chopped bacon for 7-9 minutes or until desired doneness is reached (typically a solid red color with darker edges). Scoop bacon out of pan and place on a plate. Leave bacon grease in the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add eggs to pan. Season with salt & pepper. Cook and scramble eggs until done, about 2-4 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Layer Sargento cheese slices on top of the prepared bread, cutting in half if necessary to fit. Spoon on scrambled eggs and top with cooked bacon.
- Bake breakfast boats for 4-8 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately with cilantro for garnish or salsa for dipping (both optional).