"A base recipe for baked bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with cream cheese and chives. Make it as written or add more flavors - customize it however you like!"
It’s been a bit of a chicken week here at my house, but that’s nothing new. Chicken breast is my go-to dinner option when I’ve got nothing else up my sleeve and this baked bacon wrapped chicken is one of my new favorites!
Well, okay, you got me. When it comes to a fast dinner option, it’s usually either chicken breast and Tuna Helper.
Hey, no judging!
And because of this, I’m constantly looking for new ways to cook and prepare my beloved chicken. Last week’s honey balsamic chicken was absolutely amazing and pretty hard to top, so this time around I wanted to spice things up by going in a completely different direction.
And by “different direction” I mean I added bacon.
Around the chicken.
Behold: baked bacon wrapped chicken breast!
Being the chicken connoisseur that I am, I can’t count how many recipes I’ve tried that use cream cheese in some way.
Chicken and cream cheese is a very popular combination, but in most cases, the cream cheese is only there to provide a creamy texture. The flavor always seems to be handled by some other blend of herbs and spices, completely overshadowing the tart cream cheese.
That’s not the case with this recipe!
The cream cheese flavor is front and center in this stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon, with the bacon (mm, bacon!) and chives only enhancing it. Even I, the Chicken Recipe Master that I am (that title’s still available, right?) was surprised by how flavorful baked bacon wrapped chicken breast could be.
Kinda makes me wonder why I’ve been treating cream cheese so badly all these years, because the cream cheese simply made this dish.
I can’t make any promises, but I hope this is just the start of more bacon wrapped stuffed chicken recipes in this food blog’s future! Becuase that’s why you’re here, right? Bacon and chicken? I mean, maybe you get a kick out of my corny jokes – and bless your heart if you’re nodding your head right now – but I think we both know truth. My armature comedy hour is nothing compared to stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon.
And that’s okay. I’d pick the baked bacon wrapped chicken, too.
notes & tips for this baked bacon wrapped chicken:
- In the recipe instructions, I say to use a meat tenderizer to flatten the chicken breast, but you could use any utensil that’s sturdy & heavy but isn’t breakable. For example, the video above uses a standard rolling pin.
- And speaking of flattening the chicken breast, make sure the surface you do this on isn’t breakable. I have to be careful with this because my kitchen has a tile counter and the tiles could easily break. If you’re unsure about your surface, place a wood cutting board on top to help absorb some of the impact.
- Be creative with this recipe! Experiment with different fillings like meats (more bacon?) or veggies (like spinach).
- If you like this recipe, be sure to check out these other popular chicken breast recipes: Creamy Dijon Chicken, Sweet Italian Chicken, One Pan BBQ Chicken, Creamy & Smoky Cilantro Lime Chicken, Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken, Strawberry Caprese Chicken Salad, and Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken.
Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 2 lb chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp chives chopped
- 12 slices bacon (3 pieces per chicken breast)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese and chives. Set aside.
- Spoon a portion of the cream cheese mix and spread it in the center of the chicken breast, keeping at least a 1/2 inch gap from the edges clear.
- Starting with the smallest end, roll up the chicken breast. With the seam side of the chicken facing up, wrap pieces of bacon around it so that the ends of the bacon are tucked beneath the chicken. Wrapping this way should secure the bacon and keep the chicken wrapped. If needed, use toothpicks to help keep the chicken wrap together.
Place chicken in a 9x13 baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Turn oven to broil for 5 minutes to crisp the bacon. If desired, sprinkle more fresh chopped chives on top.