Rich, dark chocolate Guinness bread laced with chocolate chips, walnuts, and frosted with a sweet Baileys glaze. It’s the perfectly indulgent dessert bread!
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
About Baileys Dark Chocolate Guinness Bread
Guinness has a natural malty sweetness and a hoppy bitterness that not only makes it great for sipping but also perfect for baking. Especially when you’re baking with chocolate.
And, you guys, this dark chocolate Guinness bread is exactly the type of treat that makes baking with Guinness so worth it.
Plus, in keeping with the Irish theme, this delicious bread is also drizzled with a Baileys Irish Cream glaze, making it perfect for festive holidays like St Patrick’s Day.
How long does Guinness bread last?
For storing this bread, it will depend on whether or not you’ve already drizzled it with frosting.
Without frosting: When stored in a sealed container (or covered in plastic wrap), this bread should remain good for up to six days. And like most homemade breads, the flavor of this loaf will intensify after two days.
With frosting: Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to three days. If you would like the flavor of the bread to mature, leave on the counter (wrapped in plastic or in a container) for two days, then frost and store in the refrigerator.
Can Guinness bread be frozen?
Yes, it totally can!
When stored in an airtight container or freezer bag, this dark chocolate bread will keep its “best” quality for about two or three months. After that point, the texture of the bread might change, but it will remain good for up to six months frozen.
Will Guinness bread make you drunk?
As far as the Guinness goes, since it’s baked in the bread, most – but not all – of the alcohol will “bake off” and leave only the malty sweet flavor. You can read more about how this works here: No Worries, the Alcohol Burns Off During Cooking—But, Does It Really?
However, keep in mind that the Baileys glaze is not baked, so this will include the same amount of alcohol content as it says on the bottle. You’re only using two tablespoons of Baileys Irish Cream to glaze the whole bread, but it’s still there, nonetheless. If this is a concern, you can substitute the Baileys Irish Cream for an equal amount of Baileys Irish Creamer (like for coffee) as a non-alcoholic alternative.
Other festive Irish recipes
More recipes with Baileys
More great bread recipes
How to make dark chocolate Guinness bread
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 3 – Pour in the Guinness beer, then mix again.
Step 4 – Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the butter, sugar, and egg, then mix.
Step 5 – Add the chocolate chips and walnuts to the batter, then use a spatula fold them in.
Step 7 – Bake!
Step 8 – While the baked bread cools, prepare the Baileys glaze by adding powdered sugar, Baileys Irish Cream, and half and half to a small bowl, then whisk them all together.
Step 9 – Drizzle the Baileys glaze over the baked bread as you see fit.
Step 10 – Serve and enjoy!
Baileys Dark Chocolate Guinness Bread
Dark Chocolate Guinness Bread
For the Dark Chocolate Guinness Bread
- In a large bowl
, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and white pepper. Set aside.
- Slowly add dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients, mixing gently in between. When all dry ingredients have been added, mix until just combined, when dry ingredients are no longer visible.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and walnuts, then pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a tester comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Let bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Baileys Glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, Baileys, and cream.
- If you’d like the frosting to be thinner, add a small splash of baileys until desired consistency is reached. If you’d like the frosting to be thicker, add 1 tablespoon powdered sugar at a time until frosting is thick enough.
Putting it All Together
- Once bread has cooled, drizzle Baileys glaze on top of bread.
- Bread can be stored in a sealed container and kept on the counter for up to 5 days.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.