This deliciously spicy buffalo chicken dip is made with hot buffalo wing sauce, shredded chicken, ranch dressing, various cheeses, and served with crisp celery.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
- About Buffalo Chicken Dip
- What’s in buffalo chicken dip?
- Can you use canned chicken?
- Can you make this dip in advance?
- How long is buffalo chicken dip good for?
- Can you freeze buffalo dip?
- How long can you leave out a party dip?
- What can you serve with a party dip?
- Can you make your own buffalo wing sauce?
- Notes & tips for this easy buffalo dip recipe
- Other tasty savory dips
- More great chicken recipes
- How to make buffalo chicken dip
- Recipe Details
About Buffalo Chicken Dip
This easy buffalo chicken dip is always a crowd-pleaser, especially if you and your guests like a little bit of a kick in their appetizers.
This dip gets its namesake from the buffalo wing sauce, and for good reason – it has all the heat and flavor from the classic sauce that’s earned mass appeal. It’s a vinegar-based sauce made with melted butter and spices (like cayenne pepper), and when combined with savory chicken, cheese, and ranch dressing, you’ve got a combination that’s hard to stop eating.
Plus, you don’t need to be a heat lover to enjoy this dip. When served with crisp green veggies like celery or cucumbers, the heat is dialed down a tad, making it easier for all guests to enjoy the flavor.
What’s in buffalo chicken dip?
To make your own hot dish of buffalo chicken dip, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Cream cheese – For creating the ultra-creamy base of the dip.
- Cooked chicken – Half of the namesake of this recipe! You can source the cooked chicken from anywhere that you’d like, from freshly cooked to leftover rotisserie chicken or even canned chicken.
- Colby Jack cheese and cheddar cheese – Because every tasty dip needs some cheesy goodness.
- Ranch dressing – To add a bit of zing and smooth consistency.
- Buffalo wing sauce – The other key flavor in this dip! You can use either store-bought buffalo wing sauce or homemade.
- Salt and black pepper – Classic seasonings for customizing the flavor.
- Celery – Recommended as a dipping option, but feel free to use any sort of crackers, chips, or meats that you’d like!
Can you use canned chicken?
The absolute best part of whipping up a hot and bubbly cheesy dip is that it’s quick and easy. But, if you’re anything like me, it’s not every day that you have cooked chicken in your kitchen, and especially on short notice. Leftover rotisserie chicken is another great option for this recipe, but again, it’s not like you’ll always find yourself with some extra rotisserie chicken lying around.
So, when I was in a pinch, I experimented with using canned chicken in this recipe – and I can now say with absolute confidence that yes, you can use canned chicken for the shredded chicken in this buffalo chicken dip recipe. Just make sure to drain the chicken thoroughly (or, if you prefer, you can even do a quick water rinse of the chicken, then pat it dry) before shredding it and mixing it in.
Can you make this dip in advance?
Yes, you can whip up this dip in advance and store it in the refrigerator until it’s ready to be baked.
Once assembled, this dip can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days, depending on the freshness of the chicken used. When ready to bake, let the dip warm up on the counter for about 30 minutes, then bake per the recipe instructions.
How long is buffalo chicken dip good for?
Once baked and cooled, buffalo chicken dip can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two to three days.
When ready to eat, allow the dip to come to room temperature on the counter for 30 minutes, then follow the regular instructions for baking the dip.
Can you freeze buffalo dip?
Yes, you totally can!
Once prepared and cooled, buffalo chicken dip can be stored in a sealable container or freezer bag for up to one to three months.
When ready to eat, allow dip to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then let it come to room temperature on the counter for 30 minutes. From there, just follow the regular recipe instructions for baking the dip.
How long can you leave out a party dip?
Whenever you serve a dip for your guests to enjoy, you should always keep track of how long it sits at room temperature.
For most foods, the general rule of thumb is that a perishable item should not be in the “danger zone” for more than two hours. And by “danger zone”, this is usually at or just above room temperature.
Since this dip will be served warm, that should give you another 30-60 minutes before needing to keep track of the dip. So, in total, this dip can be left out for an absolute maximum of three hours, depending on the temperature of the room. However, be sure to still check the dip every now and then and use your best judgment.
Once you’re near the recommended time, you can heat it up in the oven again or you can store it in the refrigerator or freezer as directed above.
For best results, I’d recommend using a warming tray so that the buffalo ranch chicken dip stays warm and above the “danger zone” temperature.
What can you serve with a party dip?
When it comes to party dips, there are so many options for dipping! This dip is best served with celery or other crisp green veggies, but you can also serve it with different types of crackers and snacks.
Try any (or many) of the options below and see which you like best:
- Tortilla chips
- Ritz crackers
- Saltine crackers
- Wheat thins
Can you make your own buffalo wing sauce?
Yes, you totally can!
Check out this recipe for buffalo wing sauce if you don’t currently have any sauce on hand.
Notes & tips for this easy buffalo dip recipe
Other tasty savory dips
More great chicken recipes
How to make buffalo chicken dip
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Not only is this dip crowd-pleasingly delicious, it’s also easy to make.
Step 2 – Stir until mostly combined.
Step 3 – Add chicken, Colby Jack cheese, cheddar cheese, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 4 – Give it another stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Step 5 – Pour dip into a baking dish of your choice, then smooth it out.
Step 6 – Bake!
Step 7 – Serve dip as pictured on this page, with veggies like fresh celery for dipping.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese, chicken, Colby Jack cheese, ranch dressing, buffalo wing sauce, cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper (to taste). Use a spatula to thoroughly mix all ingredients together.8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup shredded cooked chicken, 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, 1/2 cup ranch dressing, 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 pinch salt, 1 pinch black pepper
- Scoop dip into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Bake dip for 15-20 minutes or until dip is warm and cheese has melted.
- Serve buffalo chicken dip immediately with celery or other veggies for dipping.celery
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.