About Caramel French Toast Casserole
When it comes to our weekend breakfast routine, I’m always searching for the easiest way to a) make breakfast and b) have something satisfyingly sweet.
Because what better way is there to kick off a few days of freedom than with some sweetened comfort food, amirite?
And as always, bonus points are awarded to any breakfast foods that go well with coffee, because The Husband always brews a pot of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee (with Dunkin’ Donuts Extra Extra creamer) in the morning.
So after I immediately went to our local store to pick up a bottle (or two) of Dunkin’ Donuts Extra Extra Caramel creamer, I not only got to share a cup of caramel coffee with The Husband but I also whipped up a new goes-great-with-coffee breakfast:
Caramel french toast casserole.
What is a french toast casserole?
In short, a french toast casserole is a baking dish filled with crispy bread that’s drizzled with a sweet and creamy egg mixture which is then baked to perfection. It’s sometimes topped with syrup, sugar, or a crumb topping.
For this recipe, the bread is cubed (for easy serving) and topped with a brown sugar crumb topping.
What does caramel french toast casserole taste like?
Fans of a good french toast casserole will tell you this dish is a mix of the French toast you’re craving and an ultra creamy bread pudding. The top bakes crispy while the inside is softer, creating a crowd-pleasing combination of textures.
As for the dash of caramel flavor, this comes from using Dunkin’ Donuts Extra Extra Caramel Creamer. Fans of the coffee are bound to love the familiar flair this brings to the recipe, but for those that haven’t already tried this creamer, I really can’t recommend it enough. Besides the great taste, Dunkin’ Donuts Extra Extra creamer is made of real ingredients and has a rich consistency, making it ideal for creating fun recipes.
Can you make french toast casserole in advance?
Yes! In fact, casseroles like this taste even better when they were made the day before. This will give the bread plenty of time to absorb all the sweetness (and especially the Dunkin’ Donuts Extra Extra Caramel Creamer) before baking.
Notes & Tips for caramel french toast casserole
- I personally prefer Caramel, but Dunkin’ Donuts has Extra Extra creamer in three other flavors: Original, Extra Extra Original, and Extra Extra Vanilla. Try each one to see which you like best!
Caramel French Toast Casserole
With cubed french bread and the delicious taste of Dunkin’ Donuts Extra Extra Caramel creamer, this no-hassle breakfast is perfect comfort food for relaxed weekend mornings.
For the Caramel French Toast Casserole
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, creamer, milk, and brown sugar until eggs are broken up and sugar appears dissolved. Set bowl aside.
- Use butter to grease the bottoms and sides of a 9x11 (or similar sized) baking dish.
- Add cubed bread to baking dish and arrange in an even layer. Slowly pour prepared egg mixture over bread, taking care to saturate as much of the bread as you can.
- Cover dish and chill for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight (8-10 hours).
For the Brown Sugar Crumble Topping
- In a medium bowl, add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Use a fork to thoroughly mix the ingredients together.
- Add butter to bowl and use the fork to press the butter into the dry ingredients. Continue to mix and fold in butter until mixture turns a darker color and crumbles start to form. Set bowl aside.
Putting it all together
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove casserole dish from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Pour prepared crumble mixture on top of french toast casserole, taking care to distribute evenly. If you have any excess crumble, use it to fill up any gaps along the sides.
- Place french toast casserole in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until top looks browned and inside is hot and cooked (but not too gooey).
- Remove french toast casserole from oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve.