With a moist, dense texture, thick cream cheese frosting, and laced with shredded carrots, this subtly sweet carrot cake bread is the perfect loaf for spring.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
About Carrot Cake Bread
A decadent mix between carrot cake and dessert bread, this carrot cake bread is a deliciously sweet finger food you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
And while the fresh shredded carrot makes it a perfect fit for spring baking, breads like this are delicious all year around.
Should you grate your own carrots?
Packaged pre-shredded carrots are super convenient, but they tend to be on the dry side and may have a chewy texture when baked in the bread.
For best results, grate your own carrots. It’ll take a little more time and effort, but it’ll pay off when your carrot cake bread has a soft, moist texture.
It should take about three large carrots to make enough shredded carrot for this recipe.
How long is carrot cake bread good for?
How long this bread lasts will depend on how you store it, as well as whether or not you’ve already decorated it with the frosting glaze.
Without frosting: This bread can be stored in a sealed container on the counter for up three or four days or in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
With frosting: The bread can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
And like most homemade bread, the flavor of this loaf will intensify after two days.
Can you freeze carrot cake bread?
Yes, it can, but with a catch: for best results, the bread should be frozen without the frosting. Frosting types and consistency may vary and could impact how long or well the bread will last while frozen.
When stored in an airtight container or freezer bag, this carrot cake bread can be frozen for up to three months.
Notes & tips for carrot cake bread
- If you’d like a more festive look, add a few drops of orange food coloring to the frosting.
More delicious bread recipes
Other great recipes for Easter
How to make carrot cake bread
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 2 – In another bowl, whisk together the shredded carrot, sour cream, melted and cooled butter, milk, brown sugar, and egg.
Step 3 – Mix the dry ingredients in with the wet, being careful not to overmix.
Step 4 – Spray an 8×4 bread loaf pan with baking spray, then pour in the batter.
Step 5 – Bake!
Step 6 – While the bread bakes and cools, prepare the frosting by whipping together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
Step 7 – Use a spatula to spread the prepared frosting over the cooled carrot cake bread.
Step 8 – Serve and enjoy!
Carrot Cake Bread
Carrot Cake Bread
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Carrot Cake Bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Set bowl aside.2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In another large bowl, whisk together shredded carrot, sour cream, cooled melted butter, milk, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth.1 1/2 cup shredded carrot, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 2 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2/3 cup sour cream
- Pour the dry ingredients in with the wet, using a spatula to gently toss and stir, being sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Mix until just combined and dry ingredients are no longer visible. Do not overmix.
- Pour bread dough into the prepared pan. Push the dough so that it fits into the corners, but do not smooth out top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester toothpick comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Let bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer + large bowl), whip cream cheese and butter on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes.3/4 cup cream cheese, 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Drop mixer speed to low and blend in powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Continue to mix until frosting is smooth, about 3-5 minutes.2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Putting it All Together
- Using a spatula or butter knife, spread the frosting across the top of the cooled carrot cake bread as desired.
- Serve immediately.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.