It’s been a little bit since I posted my last dessert dip (okay, okay, fine – it’s only been just over a month) but I came up with this idea last week and ever since I’ve been so hyped to share it with you.
I’m a big dessert lover (if you couldn’t already tell) but there are only a handful of desserts I’ll always try to get when the opportunity presents itself. It just so happens that crispy churros – with their sinfully sweet cinnamon coating – are one of those treats.
You can make churros a variety of ways (and I’ve done it before), but like most desserts, I wanted something easier. Faster. Ready in only a few minutes so that when an old friend of mine and I host our next house party I’ll have a new dish I can quickly throw together and serve our guests.
And that, my friends, is how Churro Cheesecake Dip was born.
I opted to go with a cheesecake base this time around, as it was the best way to combine the right about of cinnamon with the right kind of texture. The cinnamon cream was too overpowering on its own.
However, like most of the dessert dips I post, the cream cheese is absolutely crucial for obtaining that ultra creamy texture.
Because, really, what fun is a dessert dip if you don’t have a little fun while dipping?
Do you have to use Cream Cheese?
Since I posted this recipe, many readers have said they wished it didn’t include cream cheese. And I totally understand that – cream cheese can be very overpowering and it’s not a flavor you normally think of with cannoli.
However, in this case, I promise that you can’t taste the cream cheese in this recipe. The only reason why cream cheese is used is to give the app a little thickness and consistency.
What to serve with this dessert dip?
After making as many dessert dips as I have, you start to get a feeling for what goes best with these ultra creamy treats.
Below are some of my best suggestions. Feel free to try one (or as many) as you like!
- Nilla Wafers
- Graham Crackers
- Ladyfinger cookies
- Golden Oreos
- Sugar Cookies
- Gingersnap Cookies
- Cubes of pound cake
- Crumbled waffle cones
- Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
How long can you leave out a dessert dip?
Whenever you serve a dip for your guests to enjoy, you should always keep track of how long it sits at room temperature.
For most foods, the general rule of thumb is that a perishable item should not be in the “danger zone” for more than two hours. And by “danger zone”, this is usually at or just above room temperature, which is how this dip will be served.
As the party goes on, you can move your dip back to the refrigerator once you get past the two-hour mark. If your guests still want more dip, let it chill for at least 30 minutes before bringing it back out again.
Another fun perk of this dip?
With Cinco de Mayo on the horizon, I love that not only will this recipe give me something new to serve our party guests but also it provides a new way to enjoy this Spanish classic. I’m going to do my best to keep it a secret from my neighbors over the next few months – I can’t wait to see their reaction!
So, what about you?
What is your favorite churro recipe?
I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Notes & tips for this cannoli cream dip
- For this recipe, I highly recommend using a stand mixer or a hand mixer. This isn’t a recipe you can make by hand with a whisk.
- If making the dip in advance, refrigerate in a covered container overnight, then allow the dip to soften on your counter until it has a firmness you’d like for dipping.
More fun dessert dips
Churro Cheesecake Dip
For the Churro Cheesecake Dip
- Remove cinnamon cream from the bowl (don't need to be neat - it's okay if there's still cream in the bowl or on the beaters) and add cream cheese. Whip on medium-high until fluffy, about another 3-5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon cream back to the bowl and use a spatula to fold the cream and whipped cream cheese together until thoroughly combined and smooth.
For the Cinnamon Crumble
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix together butter, granulated sugar, and cinnamon until mixture is dark and crumbly.
Putting it All Together
- Add churro cheesecake dip to a serving bowl of your choice. Sprinkle top with cinnamon crumble. Churro cheesecake dip with cookies of your choice (works best when using a mild-flavored cookie).