"Creamy pesto sauce, tender shrimp, and tasty linguine make up this one-pot 30-minutes-or less dinner. Perfect for any night of the week!"
I’m always looking for ways to make seafood at home (much to the dismay of The Steak-Loving Husband) and this, my friends, was the very first shrimp recipe I was brave enough to try.
It was a few years ago, back when I had only attempted “real” cooking a handful of times, so I did a lot of searching (read: delaying) before settling on this recipe.
It scared me just enough to make me nervous, but not enough to worry that I’d end up wasting precious shrimp.
I’d also never had pest before I made this recipe for the first time, which is so typical of me.
Because really, what better way is there to try new things than to cannonball right into the deep end with a million new experiences at once?
But after all the worrying, my first attempt at this dish went so well that I’ve made this recipe as many times as The Husband will tolerate crustaceans in his diet.
I’ve even made some minor adjustments to suit it to my liking, such as extra garlic (sorry not sorry, I just can’t help myself) and a dash of parsley on top.
Since starting this little food blog, I’ve branched out into so many seafood recipes, from Honey Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli to Honey Walnut Shrimp as well as Italian Shimp Bake and can’t forget Shrimp, Spinach, and Tomato Pasta, and yet through it all…
I still love this recipe best.
I remember being so nervous the first time I made it and yet these days I can whip it whip it up in 30 minutes without a second thought.
Just goes to show that time and persistence does pay off!
Now if only The Husband would suddenly become as obsessed with seafood as I am…
I keep feeding him shrimp dinners but so far, no luck.
This recipe was originally posted on September 3, 2014, making it the second recipe I ever posted on this little blog.
It’s also one of my favorite recipes, so I recently gave it a little TLC by updating the photos and sprucing up the text.
I hope you like it!
Creamy Pesto Shrimp Pasta
- 1 lb linguine
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tbsp garlic minced (optional - check your pesto sauce to see if it has garlic)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 tsp parsley (optional) fresh and chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and devined, tail on
- Prepare the linguine per package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and quickly saute for 1-2 minutes, just long enough to be fragrant.
- Pour in heavy cream and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook sauce for 6-8 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken, whisking constantly. This is important - you don't want the cream and butter to burn.
- Add parmesan cheese and pesto to skillet, then whisk until smooth.
- Add shrimp to the skillet and cook in the pesto sauce until the shrimp are pink and slightly curled, about 2-4 minutes. Be careful not to overcook.
- When ready to serve, you can do this two ways: you can add the cooked linguine to the skillet with the sauce and shrimp, toss to coat, and then serve, OR you can serve the linguine on a dish and pour pesto & shrimp sauce on top.