This classic style recipe for bourbon chicken is an easy, crowd-pleasing meal that’s made right in your crock pot. Lots of flavors come together to create this dish but you can easily adjust the amounts to suit your taste!
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
About Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken
I recently sent out a survey to my newsletter scribers, asking what kind of recipes my most faithful would like me to share, and I was thrilled by how many people took the time to respond. Seriously, you guys are awesome.
The feedback from the survey was excellent and I feel like I’ve got a real “recipe game plan” to work with for the next few months.
And starting today, I’ve already begun to work my way through that list.
This recipe for bourbon chicken falls right into the cusp of the two most requested choices in the survey. Because not only is it a delicious dinner recipe (which has held the lead in the “meal type” category) but it’s also a crock pot recipe (which was requested numerous times in the comment section of the survey).
So, you guys asked for it, and I deliver.
Behold, a crock pot full of chickeny (probably not a word, but we’ll go with it) goodness.
And you guys, I totally hear you on the call for more crock pot recipes. I’ve posted a few slow cooker recipes on this site, but in relation to, say, how many parfaits I have posted, I’ve seriously been slacking in the “convenient dinner” realm.
Clearly, I’m not getting near enough use out of my crock pot, which is probably why I’ve found myself eating cereal for dinner more often than I care to admit. Hey, no judging! As some of you may remember, I’ve been busy coding a brand new design for this little food blog. Some nights I can barely keep my eyes open, let alone operate a stove. Or a whisk.
And even if you’re not spending your days coding like nerdy ol’ me, I’m sure you know how to is. Life, in general, is busy and hectic (especially during the summer, amirite?) and crock pots exist to make feeding ourselves that much easier.
So here’s to you, the majestic meal machine that is my much-neglected crock pot.
I expect we’ll be getting to know each other thoroughly in the weeks to come.
What is bourbon chicken?
This dish gets its name only for the bourbon in the recipe, but also for Bourbon Street in New Orleans. It is commonly sold in Cajun-themed Chinese restaurants.
Which bourbon should you use?
I’m always hesitant to answer these questions because, for one, I know there are plenty of bourbons out there that I haven’t personally tried, so who’s to say if I really know the “best” one. And for two, what is considered good can be so different from person to person, whether it’s about taste or price point or just plain ‘ol loyalty to a brand you trust.
BUT, there are a few bourbons I can point you to so that you have somewhere to start. I know these bourbons both from experience and word-of-mouth, so you can trust that they’ll get the job done.
How do you make bourbon chicken in a crock pot?
Like many slow cooker recipes, this recipe is as easy as mix, cook, and serve.
Step 1 – Start off by adding all of the ingredients to a bowl (cornstarch, green onion, ground ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, apple juice, honey, light brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, water, bourbon, soy sauce, salt, and black pepper) and whisk them up until the sauce is smooth. If you’d like, do a taste test and adjust the seasonings as you see fit.
Step 2 – Place the cut chicken into the bottom of a crock pot, then pour the sauce on top.
Step 3 – Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
Step 4 – Serve and enjoy!
Notes & tips for crock pot bourbon chicken
- I recently upgraded my crock pot to one that comes with bowls for 2.5 Quart, 4 Quart, and 6 Quart and I highly recommend it! It’s so nice to have one unit that can make fabulous dinners and heat up party dips. You can pick one up here: Choose-A-Crock Programmable Slow Cooker, 6 quart/4 quart/2 x 1.5 quart.
More great chicken recipes
Other crock pot favorites
Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken
- 3 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, add in cornstarch, green onion, ground ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, apple juice, honey, light brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, water, bourbon, soy sauce, salt, and black pepper and whisk together until sauce is smooth and well mixed. To a taste test; feel free to experiment or adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Place cut chicken into the bottom of a 6 quart crock pot and arrange in an even layer. Pour the prepared bourbon sauce on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Serve bourbon chicken immediately with more chopped green onion for garnish (optional).
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I'm not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.