About Crock Pot Chocolate Caramel Monkey Bread
Do you or someone you know absolutely love chocolate? Or caramel? What about monkey bread? Or, better yet, stuffed monkey bread?
If you said yes to any of the above (and hopefully all four), then you’ve come to the right place, because this chocolate caramel monkey bread is what foodie dreams are made of.
And to top it all off, you can skip heating up your oven by baking this monkey bread in a crock pot.
How long can monkey bread stay out?
This recipe is shelf stable for a few days, so there’s no need to worry how long it is out (food spoiling, etc) after baking.
How long is monkey bread good for?
When kept on your counter, monkey bread should be eaten within two to three days.
Should you refrigerate monkey bread?
In most cases, the answer to this question is no. Starches tend to harden and stale much faster in the refrigerator, which will ruin any bread and especially this monkey bread.
For best results, leftover monkey bread should be stored on your kitchen counter in a sealed container.
Can you freeze monkey bread?
Once baked, yes, you can freeze monkey bread. It can be stored in a sealable container in the freezer for up to six months.
If you’d like to freeze the monkey bread before baking, consult the packaging for the bread dough that you’re using. Each brand and type will have their own directions and recommendations for freezing, and once the monkey bread has been assembled, it can be frozen using the same directions.
How to reheat monkey bread
If you’ve saved the leftovers and want to reheat the monkey bread, simply do the following:
- If you discarded the original parchment paper, add a layer of parchment paper to the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place the monkey bread inside.
- Set crock pot to WARM for about 30 minutes, depending on your unit and how hot you’d like the monkey bread to be.
- Serve and enjoy. If you find that the monkey bread cools too much, just keep the crock pot handy for any reheating.
What size crock pot should you use?
For best results, I’d recommend using a 4-quart crock pot or larger.
Notes & tips for stuffed monkey bread
- I used canned biscuits for this recipe, but you could also use canned croissants or canned cinnamon rolls. If using cinnamon rolls, you may need to increase the bake time by 30-60 minutes.
- This recipe is written to be made on LOW and I highly recommend you do the same. In the past I’ve tried increasing the temperature to HIGH for a faster bake time and did not care for the results (rolls “seemed” small and tough, tops baked dark, etc).
- I recently upgraded my crock pot to one that comes with bowls for 2.5 Quart, 4 Quart, and 6 Quart and I highly recommend it! It’s so nice to have one unit that can make fabulous dinners and heat up party dips. You can pick one up here: Choose-A-Crock Programmable Slow Cooker, 6 quart/4 quart/2 x 1.5 quart. This recipe could be made in the 4 quart or 6 quart sizes.
More great chocolate recipes
How to make monkey bread with a can of biscuits
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
Step 2 – Take one piece of biscuit dough and wrap it around your favorite caramel-filled chocolate, using your fingers to pinch the seams closed. I used ROLO candies for this, but you could also use Chocolate Caramel Hershey’s Kisses or Caramello squares (or any other chocolate candy that you like).
Step 3 – Line a crock pot with parchment paper, then loosely arrange the biscuit-wrapped-chocolates along the bottom. After you’ve filled up the bottom layer, sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar. Create a second layer, and once done, sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar on top.
Step 4 – Cover and bake.
Step 5 – Drizzle chocolate and caramel syrup on top.
Step 6 – Serve and enjoy!
Crock Pot Chocolate Caramel Monkey Bread
This stuffed monkey bread is filled with chocolate covered caramels and drizzled with chocolate and caramel syrup. Plus, it's baked right in your crock pot!
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Wrap the dough of 1 buttermilk biscuit around 1 chocolate candy so that the candy is completely covered, pinching the seam closed. Place the biscuit-wrapped candy in the bottom of the crock pot, starting at the middle and working your ways toward the sides. Continue to wrap candy and place it in the crock pot, leaving about a 1/2 inch space between each. Once you've covered the bottom of the crock pot, sprinkle about 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of the bread. Repeat these steps with a second layer of biscuit wrapped candies. When all dough and candy have been used, sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mix on top.
Cover crock pot and cook on LOW for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once cooked, remove lid and let cool slightly. Use the edges of the parchment paper to lift the monkey bread out of the crock pot and transfer it to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool for at least 10-15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, trim away any excess parchment paper around the edge. Place monkey bread in a shallow bread or plate, then drizzle with chocolate and caramel sauces. Caution: middle of monkey bread may still be very hot. For best results, begin by pulling from the outsides first.