Looking for a crock pot soup that still tastes gourmet? This ham and vegetable soup is an easy and flavorful dinner for any night of the week.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
About Crock Pot Ham and Vegetable Soup
Cooking for just an old friend of mine and I does have its advantages: the cheaper grocery bills, less kitchen cleanup, and I get to be all romantic with those perfect “dinner for two” recipes. Sure, we may eat our dinner while sitting on the couch, watching TV (all of which we’re both totally okay with doing), but in the back of my mind I fully aware of just how stinking cute our dinner plates look.
But as for the disadvantages of only cooking for two? Some of the best recipes out there are made to feed four to six, and it’s not always the easiest task to scale the recipes down (because, math). Quite often I’ll only cook the full-serving recipes when I know the leftovers will be decent – which just happens to be exactly how this crock pot soup ended up on our dinner menu.
Now, the best part about this recipe wasn’t even the fact that it turned out awesome the day I made it – because it totally did, if I do say so myself; savory and tender ham, flavorful veggies and beans? Oh yes – but actually the best part about this recipe actually was the leftovers. And it wasn’t even me that got to eat them.
an old friend of mine’s coworkers did.
Running this little food blog usually means we’ve always got good food around the house, and an old friend of mine and I talk about him taking the leftovers to work with him all. the. time. But for one reason or another, it never actually happens. Either he’s out the door before I’m motivated or I’m already so deep in my work for the day that by the time he leaves it doesn’t even dawn on me pack up some Tupperware for him.
That is, until the fateful day that I did remember.
And not only did I remember, but an old friend of mine walked out our front door with the crock pot and all the tools necessary to have an indoor picnic at his office.
I was a little nervous about the whole thing (because I’m always nervous when it comes to other people eating food I’ve cooked) but it wasn’t even past the standard lunch hour when I got a text from an old friend of mine confirming that the soup was already gone.
They ate every last bit of it and they loved it.
It kinda made my day.
So as for this recipe, I can confirm that at least six people I know have given it a thumbs up.
That’s a thumbs-up for every serving that this recipe makes.
Pretty good if you ask me!
Crock Pot Ham and Vegetable Soup
- 12 cup water, divided
- 8 ounce great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound smoked ham, already cooked
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 4 tablespoon oregano, fresh and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 8 ounce green beans, cut (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, add 6 cups of water and the great northern beans. Bring to a boil and let cook for 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat, cover, and let beans sit for 1 hour. When ready, drain and rinse beans, then set nearby.
- In a 5 1/2 quart (or larger) crock pot, add smoked ham (whole), celery, carrots, black pepper, and prepared great northern beans. Pour in the remaining 6 cups of water on top and sprinkle with oregano. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours (or 10 hours on low).
- Add green beans to crock pot and cook on high for another 25 minutes.
- Remove ham from crock pot and cut into bite-sized pieces. Return cut ham to crock pot and stir in balsamic vinegar and salt.
- Serve soup immediately.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I'm not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.