"This crock pot zuppa toscana soup is an Olive Garden copycat recipe that makes it easy to bring the taste of Italy home. A simple dinner for busy weekdays!"
In a roundabout way, this recipe for Olive Garden zuppa toscana has helped solve a ten-year-long disagreement with The Husband:
Where we should go out to eat.
Because you see, he has his favorite foodie haunts and I have mine. But it seems like the older we get, the further and further apart we get on this issue. While I’m more of a seafood and Italian buff he tends to gravitate toward ritzy steakhouses. And even though we have different ideal foods, usually we can make it work for one another. I go to his steakhouses and order the crab cakes and he’ll come to seafood joint and gets the surf and turf.
But while we’re pretty good at compromising, there’s one restaurant I can’t get him to go to no matter how many trips to Longhorn I try to trade in:
Do you hear that sound? That’s my heart crying for all the zuppa toscana crock pot recipe I’ve had to do without.
Well, that is… until I learned how to make it myself with this recipe for zuppa toscana soup.
And after I made this recipe, do you know what happened?
The Husband ate more of it than I did.
I mean, don’t get me wrong – to me, this was a perfect copycat of the zuppa toscana recipe from Olive Garden, leaving me feeling like a waiter should come by with a basket of delicious breadsticks any minute – but apparently I wasn’t the only one who missed this particular part of a trip to Olive Garden.
The Husband may not be a big fan of chain Italian food, but he certainly can appreciate a tasty recipe for zuppa toscana soup!
Plus, this soup has the added bonus of being an ideal comfort food for the upcoming winter months. It may not get very cold here in Phoenix, but there’s still a chilly bite in the air. A warm and hearty soup like this one will be perfect for distracting me until the warm summer days arrive again.
notes & tips for this zuppa toscana crock pot recipe:
- You can make zuppa toscana soup numerous ways, but the main staples are the kale, heavy cream, and potato. I’ve seen soups that use both bacon and chicken, but I’ve always felt it works best with sausage (and Italian sausage at that).
- This soup isn’t difficult to make on the stovetop, but I’ve always liked the convenience of a crock pot, and this Olive Garden zuppa toscana recipe is a perfect example of what a crock pot can do. I’m a big fan of this crock pot – it has three sizes in one!
- If you like this recipe, be sure to check other crock pot soups like Crock Pot Ham and Vegetable Soup, Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup, or Crock Pot Minestrone Soup.
- And if you like Olive Garden copycat recipes, be sure to check out this one for Parmesan Baked Shrimp!
Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana
This crock pot zuppa toscana soup is an Olive Garden copycat recipe that makes it easy to bring the taste of Italy home. A simple dinner for busy weekdays!
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 russet potato diced
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper to taste
- 4 cup chicken broth (32 oz)
- water see recipe instructions
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded (for topping)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown and crumble hot Italian sausage, about 5-8 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until some of the onion begins to turn opaque (no need to cook onion completely at this point). Drain grease from skillet.
In a 6 quart crock pot (or bigger), add cooked sausage & veggies plus the diced potato. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour chicken broth on top. There should be enough broth to cover the tops of the potatoes; if there isn't, add up to 2 cups water so potatoes are covered.
- Gently stir ingredients, cover crock pot, and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove lid from crock pot and add kale and heavy whipping cream, then stir to combine.
- Cover crock pot and cook on HIGH for another 30 minutes.
- Serve zuppa toscana immediately with shredded parmesan cheese as garnish.