"This no-hassle party appetizer is perfect for serving at home or to take on the road! Can be made hot or cold with veggies and dip of your choice!"
Well, ladies and gents, it’s that time of year again! Whether you follow sports or are just there for the commercials, the big game will soon be upon us. And no matter if your team made the cut or you have to wait until next year, I think we can all agree on this:
We’ve got some good times and good food with good friends in our future.
Although, I gotta be honest, what I’m looking forward to most is the food. Scrumptious appetizers are sort of “my thing” and that just so happens to be the primary food source at any respectable Game Day party. The Husband and I don’t know exactly where we’ll be watching the game this year, but that hasn’t stopped me from planning the menu.
And do you know what my primary food inspiration is for this year?
Johnsonville Smoked Sausage.
So, since our Game Day plans are still up in the air, I needed a flavorful solution without all the fuss. I may be planning the menu in advance, but I guarantee you that I will be “that” person rushing around grocery store just before the game, trying to pick up everything that I should have done days before.
The fact that I can skip the spice aisle and leave with a flavorful meat to use in my chosen appetizer?
And speaking of my meal plans, this was the super easy dish I came up with: Easy Sausage Skewers. I used sliced zucchini, colby jack cheese, cherry tomatoes, and bite-sized Johnsonville Smoked Sausage to craft and appetizer that’s not only easy to make (score!) but extremely portable (win!). No need to juggle a large baking dish or a million bits and pieces; these ingredients travel nicely in a single sealed container wherever you need to go.
Plus, you can customize it to your tastes with a variety of veggies or dipping sauces.
Looking for more creative dishes with flavorful sausage?
Be sure to check out The Sausage Dome! It’s the first-ever sausage reality competition where contestants compete to find this year’s best Game Day recipes.
I may be a little partial to skewers, of course, but I can’t wait to see what they come up with!
Easy Sausage Skewers
- 24 oz colby jack cheese cut into bite-sized pieces
- 12 oz Johnsonville Smoked Sausage any flavor, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomato
- dipping sauce of your choice (I used italian dressing)
- If desired, heat Johnsonville Smoked Sausage in the microwave per instructions on the back of the package.
- Using wooden (or metal) skewers (or toothpicks) thread the ingredients on as you see fit. To do this as pictured, start with zucchini, then colby jack cheese, then tomato, then Johnsonville Smoked Sausage.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce of your choice, such as italian dressing or honey mustard.