An easy jambalaya recipe with shrimp, sausage, green peppers, onion, and Minute Ready to Serve Brown Rice that comes together in just 20 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Thank you Minute® Ready to Serve Rice for sponsoring this post and giving me a great solution to our busy weeknight dinners!
About Easy Shrimp Jambalaya
Since it’s only an old friend of mine I in this house, I’m constantly looking for dinners that are 1) easy to make for two people – or, at the very least, recipes that make it easy to adjust the number of servings – and 2) make for great leftovers, since both of us seem to be pretty busy people these days. There have been plenty of times when one (or both!) of us had to skip eating a freshly made meal so we could wrap up some other obligation that needed our attention first.
So more times than not, I find myself either flying solo with a dinner painstakingly measured for two or it’s the following day and I’m the one eating leftovers. In fact, I’ve become a bit of a master in these two fields, and from my “vast” experience I always try to avoid these two things:
- Meals that are hard to divide evenly. On the surface this seems simple (just divide the pasta, have one fish filet per person, etc etc) but think about doing this for a turkey or a ham. Not so easy anymore, or at least not without a lot of work.
- Food that will last at least one night (and possibly two) in the fridge and still taste god. I know you know what I mean; there some dishes out there that are only good in the moments after they’ve been cooked.
No one likes the time and effort they put into dinner to be wasted, and all of this was becoming a real problem for me until I discovered a solution that helps make a lot of the above concerns obsolete: Minute® Ready to Serve Rice.
So what’s so great about these Minute Ready to Serve Rice bowls?
- Everyone knows that Minute Rice takes a few minutes to cook (hence the name), but these new bowls literally take one minute to make. There’s no boiling, no waiting, none of it – you can now have rice in one minute flat in the microwave, and I don’t know about you, but that s a huge help for our busy lives.
- You can make as much (or as little!) rice as you need. Because I know we’ve all been there – sometimes the serving size on the side of a box or in a recipe can be misleading, and it’s only once you’re done cooking that you realize that you’d like a little more rice with your meal. Minute Ready to Serve Rice, you only need one minute in the microwave to solve that problem. You no longer have to weigh the pros and cons of boiling water again or waiting ten minutes while your food gets cold.
- We love rice in this house, and I’ve had plenty of leftovers that include it… but not all of them keep as well as others. “Dry” meals like fried rice tend to do okay, but when it comes to rich and juicy dishes (like, say, Shrimp Jambalaya) the rice can get a little mushy once it’s sat in the fridge for a bit. With Minute Ready to Serve Rice, you only ever need to make as much rice as you plan to use, so you can refrigerate the savory parts in a separate container and make a fresh cup of Minute Ready to Serve Rice when you’re ready to eat. And voilà, now you have a tasty lunch that’s just as delicious as last night’s dinner, and – best of all – no mushy rice!
- Plus, Minute Ready to Serve Rice is non-GMO and gluten-free!
And as for how this dish turned out? You all know I’m a sucker for shrimp, but the flavor combination in this dish was absolutely amazing. Green peppers, onion, and garlic are the trifecta of most Louisana dishes, and for good reason – they just work. I used smoked sausage for this and it gave just the right amount of flavor to help kick up the mild and tender shrimp.
I can also say that this was one of the best “leftover meals” I’ve ever had. Dinner was awesome, for sure, but to have something like this for lunch, ready for me in less than 2 minutes in the middle of my busy day? I’d make this recipe again just for that!
Easy Shrimp Jambalaya
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup sausage, cooked and cut into half circles
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup roma tomato, seeded & chopped
- 1/2 pound shrimp
- 2 package Minute® Ready to Serve Brown Rice
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped, for topping (optional)
- In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring constantly, until sausage is fragrant and begins to brown around the edges, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add yellow onion, bell pepper, and garlic to skillet, and stir with the oil and sausage. Let vegetables cook until tender, about another 5-8 minutes.
- Mix in water, salt, paprika, and roma tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer; cover, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir veggies, then arrange shrimp on top in a single layer. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While shrimp cook, heat up 2 containers of Minute® Ready to Serve Brown Rice per package instructions.
- To serve, pour rice on plages, then top with shrimp jumbalaya.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I'm not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.