"Whether you love fried green tomatoes or just need to use up the red tomatoes from your garden, these BLT sliders are a zesty crowd-pleasing dinner!"
We all have a favorite sandwich, and for me, that’s always been the BLT. There’s just something so perfectly right about the combination of bacon, lettuce, and tomato that just can’t be beat. And, of course, it gets extra points from me for being so easy to make. It’s one of the few sandwiches I’ll make myself at home.
My affection for BLT’s is also why I love the summer months, because of my green thumb friends seem to have an abundance of tomatoes they’re anxious to pass my way.
So while I’ve been busy eating my way through baskets of tomatoes, I’ve also taken a little time to experiment with my favorite sandwich.
Because while BLT’s are marvelous, when you add a fried tomato to the mix? It suddenly becomes outrageous.
Plus, there was a sale on mini buns at my local grocery store, so not only do these have fried tomatoes but they’re also BLT sliders.
They practically have “summer party staple” written all over them!
Now, I’ll be honest: when I made this recipe, it was the first time I had ever had fried tomatoes. Because, yes, I have in fact been living under a rock, if by rock we mean the five-year-old version of me that refused to eat 90% of the food on the planet. I’ve written a lot on this little food blog about how I used to be a picky eater as a kid, but I’m doing my best to rectify that damage as an adult.
Thankfully I (finally) know just how good fried tomatoes can be, which makes me all the more anxious for next year… because, you see, we recently invested in some tomato plants.
Assuming we can help these little plants make it through the winter, I fully intend to be living off of these BLT sliders come July of next year!
notes & tips for these BLT sliders:
- I made this recipe with red tomatoes, but you can certainly make it with fried green tomatoes instead! Or, better yet, if you’re serving these sliders at a party, you could make both red and green fried tomatoes so that the guests can have their pick!
- This recipe is designed to use the bacon grease to fry the tomatoes for an extra bit of flavor. If you’d rather not do this, discard the bacon grease and fry the tomatoes in an oil of your choice. Just make sure you have enough oil to cover the bottom of your skillet (and it doesn’t need to be very deep, maybe 1/8 of an inch deep is more than enough).
- These BLT sliders would go great with some Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips!
- If you like BLT’s as much as I do, be sure to check out Chicken BLT Salad with Buttermilk Dressing.
- Looking for more great recipes with bread? There’s also Crock Pot Sweet Pulled Pork, Buttermilk Biscuits, Homemade Croissants with Honey Butter Drizzle, Classic Strawberry Stuffed French Toast, Easy Vegetarian Eggs Benedict, Creme Brulee French Toast, and Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Boats.
Fried Tomato BLT Sliders
Whether you love fried green tomatoes or just need to use up the red tomatoes from your garden, these BLT sliders are a zesty crowd-pleasing dinner!
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Set nearby.
Return the heat under the skillet with bacon grease to medium. While skillet warms up, place a slice of tomato in the flour mixture and flip until outside is coated. Dredge coated tomato in the egg mixture and then add it to the skillet with hot grease. Fry the tomato in the bacon grease until the breading outside is a deep golden brown. Transfer fried tomato to a paper towel covered plate to cool. Repeat until all tomato slices have been fried.
Assemble the BLT sliders by preading mayonnaise on the bread and filling the sandwiches with layers of lettuce, cooked bacon, and fried tomatoes. Before serving, spear sliders with a long toothpick or mini skewer to make handling and serving easy.
Recipe adapted from Food Network.