"This frozen cocktail is made with juicy watermelon and flavored with hints of grapefruit, citrus, and rosé wine. A cooling drink for the late summer heat!"
Watermelon season runs from May through September, and that means we’ve still got a whole solid month left to enjoy it at its peak. And I don’t know about you, but I fully intend to enjoy all the watermelon I can before it’s gone.
Like, say, having watermelon in a glass.
And hints of ginger and citrus.
All of which make this frozen watermelon cocktail the perfect solution for all of the summer nights we have left.
I’ve absolutely fallen in love with this cocktail, and it’s not just because they’re boozy and sweet (although they totally are). What I like most about them is that they’re frozen and slushy, which means they can be enjoyed with either a straw or a spoon.
I think I prefer using a spoon, but I have plenty of friends and family that strictly use straws with drinks.
It’s always nice to have options!
Plus, for those that are regulars to this little food blog, you probably know I live in the sunny city of Phoenix, and that means that the weather will still be hot hot hot well into October.
I fully intend to buy plenty of prime-season watermelons, cut it up, and freeze them so that they’ll last us until the weather finally starts to get cooler.
And if I manage to make our watermelon reserves stretch all the way through December?
I fully intend to enjoy a few of these by our fireplace!
notes & tips for this frozen watermelon cocktail:
- Want to know how you can ensure you always buy a great-tasting watermelon? Check out this article on the best way to pick a watermelon. There are a couple different ways and, in my experience, they all seem to work pretty well. My mother relies on method #2 while The Husband uses method #3!
- I made this frozen cocktail using the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid Mixer. I liked that it was one less appliance in my house and it stores a little better than a stand-alone ice cream maker.
- You’ll also need a trusty food processor for this recipe. I bought the Ninja Blender System almost 10 years ago and it hasn’t failed me yet!
- Like the silver straws in these pictures? You can pick up a box of them here.
- Looking for more recipes with watermelon? Check out this Watermelon Rum Punch!
- If you’re in the mood for a cocktail, I highly recommend Purple People Eater Cocktail, Classic Champagne Cocktail, Floating Yoda Cocktail, Cherry Blossom Cocktail, Star Gazer Wine Cocktail, Jack Frost Winter Cocktail, and Orange Creamsicle Cocktail
Frozen Watermelon Cocktail
This frozen cocktail is made with juicy watermelon and flavored with hints of grapefruit, citrus, and rosé wine. A cooling drink for the late summer heat!
Before mixing ingredients, be sure that your chosen ice cream maker is ready to churn ice cream (attachments frozen, ice added, etc).
Using a food processor, blend watermelon, powdered sugar, grapefruit soda, orange liqueur, and rosé wine until smooth.
Pour the blended watermelon cocktail mixture into the chilled bowl/attachment of your ice cream maker.
Churn watermelon cocktail for 25-30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. If you'd like the cocktail to be drinkable with a straw, serve frozen watermelon cocktails immediately. If you'd like the consistency to be more like Italian ice, transfer watermelon cocktail to a storage container and let it freeze for another 4-6 hours before serving.