Gooey S’mores Bars
Layered with chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and a graham cracker crust, these gooey s’mores bars can be made and served any time, melted or chilled.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
- About Gooey S’mores Bars
- What’s in gooey s’mores bars?
- What type of chocolate should you use?
- How to cut perfect bars
- Can you make s’mores bars in advance?
- How long are s’mores bars good for?
- Can you freeze s’mores bars?
- Notes & tips for s’mores bars
- More delicious bar recipes
- How to make gooey s’mores bars
- Recipe Details
About Gooey S’mores Bars
With an iconic mix of graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate, these gooey s’mores bars are the best way to enjoy delicious s’mores all year long, no matter the weather or time of year.
What’s in gooey s’mores bars?
- Graham cracker crumbs – Part of the trifecta for creating a classic s’more. You can either crumble whole graham crackers yourself or buy the pre-crumbled graham crackers.
- Mini marshmallows – Can’t have a s’more without marshmallows!
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – The final part to a classic s’more, nothing beats a melted chocolate layer. You can use any type of chocolate you’d like (milk, dark, etc) but semi-sweet is recommended because these bars do not have a lot of “filler” ingredients and are very indulgent and sweet as-is.
- Butter, sugar, and salt – Used to bake the graham cracker crumbs into a firm crust.
What type of chocolate should you use?
There are many different brands of chocolate chips – even some made by popular candy companies – but from my experience, the best chocolate for baking, fudges, or truffles is Ghirardelli. It consistently performs well while baking, has a great texture (never chalky), and has a delicious flavor. This brand is a little more expensive, but trust me, you’ll appreciate the flavor and consistency you’ll get from the premium quality.
You can find their semi-sweet chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate bar either in the bakery aisle of most grocery stores or you can buy it online.
How to cut perfect bars
If you’re anything like me and get a little nervous when cutting food, fear not – there’s an easy trick you can use to get your bars to have perfectly cut lines and dimensions.
The trick: Before adding your ingredients to the baking dish, line it with parchment paper or aluminum foil, draping the edges over the sides of the pan. This will make it so you can simply lift the baked and uncut bars from the pan, set it on the counter, and cut the bars without the sides of the pan interfering with your accuracy. You can even whip out a ruler if you’d like to make sure every bar is the exact size you’d like them to be.
Can you make s’mores bars in advance?
Absolutely! These bars are baked and then cooled until set, so they’re perfect for storing in the refrigerator (or on the counter) until ready to serve.
For best presentation, I recommend making these bars up to 24 hours in advance.
How long are s’mores bars good for?
Once prepared and set, s’mores bars can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to five to seven days.
Can you freeze s’mores bars?
Yes, you totally can!
To perfectly freeze s’mores bars, just follow these guidelines:
- Bake and allow to cool completely.
- If storing cut bars, place them in a single layer in a freezer bag or storage container. If you need to stack the bars, separate each layer with a sheet of wax paper.
- If storing the uncut bars, simply place in a freezer bag or storage container that they fit in.
- Bars can be frozen for up to six months.
Notes & tips for s’mores bars
- These bars can be served chilled, at room temperature, or warmed up in the microwave. If heating in the microwave, keep an eye on the marshmallows; they should never be heated for more than two minutes. Start with 30-second intervals and repeat until the bar is heated to your liking.
- If you’d like the bars to have a toasted top, reduce bake time by three minutes and broil on the top rack for one minute. Just be sure to keep an eye on the marshmallows so they don’t burn!
More delicious bar recipes
How to make gooey s’mores bars
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and salt until combined and fluffy.
Step 2 – Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil, then pour in the graham cracker mixture. Spread it out and press down into a firm, even layer.
Step 3 – Bake!
Step 4 – Bring the baking dish out of the oven and top with some marshmallows.
Step 5 – Bake again! Then allow the marshmallows to deflate a bit.
Step 6 – Top the baked marshmallows with chocolate chips, more marshmallows, and a bit more graham cracker crumbs.
Step 7 – Bake one more time!
Step 8 – Let the baking dish cool on a wire cooling rack, then transfer to the refrigerator to completely cool and set.
Step 9 – Cut and enjoy!
Gooey S’mores Bars
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs, divided
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows, divided
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 baking dish (or similar size) with parchment paper or aluminum foil, extending pieces over sides for easy handling. If using foil, spray with cooking spray. Set dish aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs. Set aside.3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- In a large bowl, add remaining graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and salt. Use a fork to mix and mash until butter is absorbed and mixture is crumbly.3 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1 cup unsalted butter, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Transfer crust mixture to prepared baking dish and firmly press into an even layer, completely covering the bottom.
- Bake crust for 7 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven. Add 4 cups of marshmallows, spreading into an even layer.16 ounces mini marshmallows
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 or until marshmallows have deflated.
- Pour chocolate chips evenly over baked marshmallows, then top chocolate remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and reserved 2 tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs.16 ounces mini marshmallows, 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer dish to a wire cooling rack to cool down for 30 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely (about another 30 minutes).
- When ready to cut, lift dessert out of baking dish by gripping excess paper/foil along the sides, then transfer it to a work area. Peel back paper/foil from edges of bars, then cut bars into 15 servings, typically 5 rows by 3 rows.
- Serve bars immediately.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.