"These baked cinnamon tortilla chips are easy to make and perfect for dipping all sorts of sweet desserts and frostings. They're great for snacking, too!"
Last week I whipped up a batch of homemade tortilla chips to go along with all the summery dips I plan to make this year, and they were a huge hit.
They’re a great way to use up all tortillas you don’t have time to finish.
But you know what this little food blog already has a ton of, but not a lot of complimenting recipes to go along with them?
All those dessert dips I’ve made in the past year.
You might have seen a few of them already floating around the internet. And seeing as how I already have plans to make more sweet dips, it only made sense to start whipping up some sweet dippable finger food to go along with them.
And seeing as how I already have plans to make more sweet dips, it only made sense to start whipping up some sweet dippable finger food to go along with them.
These cinnamon tortilla chips will be a perfect compliment to any dessert dip because, like the dips themselves, they’re so easy to make.
All you need is a package of corn tortillas, and you can use anything between the 4.5-inch to the 8-inch size (just depends on how big you want your chips).
Then, take a very sharp knife (or pizza cutter) and cut the tortilla into fourths, as shown above.
And just like that, you’re 50% of the way done with making homemade baked tortilla chips.
Next, you dip each tortilla chip in a bit of melted butter (because all proper desserts include butter) and then dip the buttery chip in a mix of sugar and cinnamon.
Once that’s done, you’re all set to get to baking the chips. It takes about 8-10 minutes for the chips to become crispy, but in that time you could easily whip up whatever sauce, cream, or frosting you’ll be dipping the chips in.
These chips have a “churro” quality to them, so when I made my first batch I whipped up some fudge sauce with peanuts for dipping.
Looking at that written out it seems a little weird to me now, but at the time, it made for a perfect afternoon snack – kinda like a melted candy bar without the messy wrapper to deal with.
Trust me – after the day I had, it was awesome.
Homemade Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small, shallow bowl. Also add butter to another small, shallow bowl. Place all three items nearby.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, make two cuts across the tortillas so that each tortilla is cut into even halves (as pictured above).
- Dip the tortilla in the butter, then toss in the sugar cinnamon mix. Shake off any excess and place the chip on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this step until all chips have been coated and are ready to bake.
- Bake tortillas for 8-10 minutes or until the edges just begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle tops with the remaining cinnamon sugar, if desired. Allow chips to cool 5 minutes before eating.