"Spongy cornbread muffins that are baked & drizzled maple syrup and flavored with rich, crispy bacon. Perfect for a holiday dinner or a unique breakfast!"
With the holidays quickly approaching, I think we can all be in agreement with one thing:
If we’re lucky, our futures will soon include a lot of delicious comfort foods, from meats to starches to delicious desserts.
And in addition to all the usual delicious suspects (turkey, stuffing, chocolate – not necessarily in that order) there’s one other comfort food that’s always guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser:
Bacon. Because bacon has a way of making everything just a little bit better, amirite?
And when you pair delicious crispy bacon with sweet maple syrup and spongy cornbread muffins? Now you’ve got the kind of holiday comfort food that’s perfect for dinner. Or, better yet, for breakfast the following day after a big, tasty dinner.
These muffins are just the latest addition to the holiday dinner I have planned for The Husband and I. And believe me, these muffins will be in great company. I’m going to tackle a whole turkey, stuffing, plus two more side dishes and desserts – because, you know, the two of us clearly need that much food.
Good thing we have a lot of freezer space!
Plus, I figure the same menu for Thanksgiving will work just as well for Christmas. And Easter. And the Memorial Day. And Fridays.
At the very least, these maple bacon cornbread muffins would make for the perfect all-round side dish, no matter what may (or may not) change for each holiday dinner.
Another bonus? Not only does this recipe bake up perfectly, but your whole house will smell holiday amazing while the muffins bake.
So, what about you? Do you have any big holiday plans, or must-have foods?
Family gathering traditions?
Do you cook and bake during the holidays, or do you get to kick back while someone else works the kitchen?
I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Maple Bacon Cornbread Muffins
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chopped bacon until very crispy, about 7-10 minutes. Place crumbled bacon on a paper towel covered plate to dry and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with muffin 15 liners and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together yellow cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Once mixed, create a well in the center of the cornmeal mixture. Set bowl aside.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs and gently whisk to break up yolk and whites. Add maple syrup, milk, yogurt, and vegetable oil to bowl, then whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, mix batter until moistened and most the large clumps are gone (a few small clumps are okay).
- Add about 3/4 of the prepared bacon to the batter and gently fold it in until mixed.
- Pour maple bacon muffin mix into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup up about 2/3 full. Note: This recipe is designed to make exactly 15 muffins. If you have excess muffin mix, resist making more muffins - instead, try to find room for the batter in the existing 15 muffins.
- Bake cornbread muffins for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When serving, sprinkle remaining crumbled bacon on top of the muffins and drizzle maple syrup on top.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.