This mistletoe cocktail is a blend of RumChata, butterscotch schnapps, creme de menthe, and a dash of grenadine, creating a vibrant red and green holiday drink.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
About Mistletoe Cocktail
With its minty sweetness and vibrant holiday colors, this mistletoe cocktail is ready for your next holiday party, and in a fraction of the time of most other Christmas treats. Just shake, pour, and enjoy!
What’s in a mistletoe cocktail?
- RumChata – Delicious on its own, this helps add a creamy sweetness to the drink.
- Butterscotch Schnapps – Adds a bit of sweet bite.
- Creme de Menthe – Adds vibrant color and a minty flavor.
- Milk – Cuts the intensity a little while also adding creaminess.
- Grenadine – Not so much for flavor (although it is nice) as it is for looks, since it adds a shock of color to the bottom of the glass.
- Chocolate Syrup, Sprinkles, and Biscotti – Used for decorating the glass or adding garnish to the drink.
Can this drink be made in advance?
Yes, it totally can! This cocktail can easily be made a few hours (maximum of three hours) in advance and kept refrigerated until ready to drink.
The only thing you need to be worried about is the decorated rim of the glass, as the chocolate may slip and slide down the glass over time. You can avoid this by simply skipping the decorating OR you can decorate the glass, freeze it for about 30 minutes or until the decorated rim feels firm, and then mix and pour the drink inside.
How to measure this cocktail
This cocktail is written like a standard drink recipe, meaning that instead of an exact measurement (ex: 1 cup) the recipe will read “1 part.”
This can sometimes be a little confusing, but I’ve found the best way to think of it as this: Recipes that measure in parts usually mean it’s written so that you can adjust the size of the drink to whatever you want and the measurements they give you (1 part, 1/2 part, etc) are so you can keep the ratio of the ingredients correct.
For example, let’s say you wanted to make one drink – this typically means you’re using 1 standard shot glass for measuring. So then when the recipe says “1 part” you would interpret that amount as “1 standard shot glass” full. If the recipe says “1/2 part” you’d fill the shot glass halfway so that it’s “1/2 standard shot glass.” OR, let’s say you wanted to make enough drinks for a few friends. When making the drink you could interpret “1 part” as “1 cup” (or “1/2 part” to “1/2 cup.”)
This way the drink will taste the same no matter what size you make it.
What are the exact measurements for one drink?
In a hurry and want simple measurements for just one drink? No problem! Just use this as a guide:
- 1/2 teaspoon grenadine
- 2 ounce rumchata
- 2 ounce butterscotch schnapps
- 2 ounce creme de menthe
- 1 ounce milk
You can also select “Metric” measurements in the recipe card below to see these numbers.
More delicious drink recipes
Other great recipes for Christmas
How to make a mistletoe cocktail
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – For a festive glass, add the chocolate syrup and sprinkles to two separate plates. Dip the rim of a glass in the chocolate syrup, then coat the chocolate in sprinkles.
Step 2 – Pour the grenadine into the decorated glass, then set it aside for now.
Step 3 – In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the following ingredients: RumChata, butterscotch schnapps, creme de menthe, and milk. Shake well for 15 seconds.
Step 4 – Gently pour the contents of the cocktail shaker into the prepared glass, being careful not to disrupt the grenadine too much.
Step 5 – Serve and enjoy!
- On two small plates, add the chocolate syrup to one plate and sprinkles to the other. Dip the rim of a glass in the chocolate and gently dab the top the glass in sprinkles, coating the rim.
- Pour grenadine into decorated glass, then set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add rumchata, butterscotch schnapps, creme de menthe, and milk. Shake well for 15 seconds.
- Pick up prepared glass and tilt slightly. Gently pour the contents of the cocktail shaker into the class, taking care not to disrupt the grenadine too much. TIP: If using biscotti, you can drizzle the liquid down the cookie to help guide it into the glass.
- Serve immediately with biscotti as garnish (optional).
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.