Creepy, easy, and fun, these festive monster eye pudding cups use only 6 ingredients and are very kid-friendly. Perfect for a monster movie marathon or party.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
About Monster Eye Pudding Cups
It’s always fun being festive for Halloween, but it’s not always easy. Sometimes it takes a lot of time and effort to pull off the perfect creepy vibe.
That is, unless you’re making these spooky monster eye pudding cups.
Because they’re easy. Simple, even. And they still have all the creepy flair of a treat you slaved for hours in the kitchen to make.
What do you need to make these pudding cups?
The idea is to keep these pudding cups simple, so you’ll only need a few ingredients:
- Oreo cookies – Any type or flavor that you’d like.
- Chocolate pudding – This can be homemade, store-bought, or even the individually packaged puddings (like Snack Pack). If you’re making the pudding at home (such as instant chocolate pudding), you’ll also need the other ingredients listed on the box, like milk.
- White candy melts – For creating the white part of the eyeball.
- Vanilla wafers – Creates the base for the eyeball (it’s what’s coated in white candy).
- Oreo Minis – Tiny Oreo cookies that create the pupil of the eyeball.
What type of candy melts should you use?
Candy melts (also called melting wafers) are pretty common – you can find them in the baking supply area, and they’re small, flat disks, typically sold by the bag – but I do think there are significant differences in quality depending on the brand of candy melts you buy.
Wilton is by far the most common brand of candy melt, and they are sold in a variety of colors. This makes them a popular choice, since you can buy the exact color you need and can get right to crafting your creepy treats. Wilton makes it simple and easy.
However, I’ve not been impressed with the quality of Wilton candy melts. Their candy melts cool fast, which means the texture becomes thick and harder to work with long before you may be done using it. This means it needs to be reheated more and the quality of the melts gets a little more “iffy” each time.
Given the above, I would highly recommend picking up Ghirardelli brand candy melts. These are my favorite candy melts to work with due to the superior quality and taste. You will need to use orange food coloring (or purple, green, or black) to get a festive color, but I promise it would be well worth the effort.
Can you make these pudding cups in advance?
Yes, you totally can! Although I would hold off on placing the candy eye until just before serving. This ensures that it won’t sink within the pudding or absorb any extra moisture. Store them in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
How long do pudding cups last?
Once prepared, these monster eye pudding cups should remain good in the refrigerator for up to four to six days.
More great Halloween recipes
How to make monster eye pudding cups
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 2 – Grab an Oreo Mini, twist it apart, and place one half of the cookie on the center of a coated wafer, pressing gently to secure the Oreo to the wet candy coating.
Step 3 – Let the monster eyes dry! And while they dry, prepare the instant pudding mix with the milk per package instructions.
Step 4 – When ready to assemble, add the pudding to a small glass or cup, filling it about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. Top generously with crushed Oreo cookies and Halloween sprinkles, then stick the monster eye into the top.
Step 5 – Serve and enjoy!
Monster Eye Pudding Cups
- Using a food processor (or ZipLoc bag + meat tenderizer), crush the Oreo cookies until they become a fine crumble. Set crumbled Oreos aside.1 1/2 cups Oreos
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt candy melts per package directions until smooth.1/3 cup white candy melts
- Drop a vanilla wafer into the melted candy, then use a fork or spatula to toss to coat. Gently shake off any excess candy, then place coated vanilla wafer on prepared baking sheet. Repeat this step until all vanilla wafers are coated.4 vanilla wafers
- While candy is still wet, twist apart the mini Oreo cookies, and gently press one half of the cookie onto the coated vanilla wafer. If needed, dab a small amount of melted candy on the Oreo to ensure that it sticks. Doing this will create what looks like a white eye with a dilated pupil. Repeat this step for all coated vanilla wafers.4 Oreo Minis
- Allow candy eyes to dry completely, about 15-20 minutes.
- While candy eyes dry, prepare instant pudding mix with the milk per package instructions.3.9 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix, 2 cups whole milk
- Assemble pudding cups by adding 1/2 cup pudding to 4 small cups (it should fill the cup 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full) then top with crumbled Oreos and Halloween sprinkles. Place a monster eye on the top of the cup; you can either stick it vertically or lay it flat across the top.Halloween sprinkles
- Serve immediately.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.