"Blended strawberries and frozen vanilla yogurt mix to create this festive holiday drink. Rim the glass with green decorating gel and sprinkle with crushed strawberry candy canes for an extra treat!"
I’ve posted quite a few drink recipes over the past few weeks, and it’s all because they’re so “in season” right now – or at least, that’s what it feels like to me. While everyone else is banking on big and hefty holiday meals, I’ve been on the hunt for snack foods and tasty drinks. There’s just something about chilly weather that makes me want edibles I can pick up and take with me… probably because I’m constantly searching for the warmest spot to hang out at.
However, this drink is a little different than the others I posted lately, in that there is absolutely no alcohol in this drink. Yes, you read that right – there’s zip, zilch, zero on the firewater factor, making this a family-friendly drink that will still impress all your holiday guests. The little humans at your party will be elated that they get to partake in the same fancy drink that all the adults are having.
The drink itself is pretty standard – just your run-of-the-mill strawberry yogurt smoothie, with blended strawberries and frozen yogurt poured separately so that it makes a colorful design in the glass. But it’s the rim of the glass that’s my favorite part, as it’s coated with green decorating gel and then sprinkled with crushed strawberry candy canes. I even sprinkled a few candy cane crumbles in the drink for an extra candy crunch.
I’ve mentioned before that I’ve taken to having a drink by the fire this holiday season (what I like to call my “nightly holiday routine”) and this smoothie was a nice change of pace of my usual. It has just the right touch of ice combat the heat of the fire. Our 2015 holiday plans are still a bit up in the air right now, but I have a good feeling that no matter what we do, this smoothie will end up being my best parlor trick!
North Pole Strawberry Smoothie
- green decorating gel
- 1 candy cane strawberry or peppermint flavored, crushed
- 10 oz strawberries frozen in syrup or sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cup frozen yogurt vanilla flavor
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt vanilla flavor
- Line green decorating gel around the rim of two glasses. Sprinkle crushed candy canes so that they stick to the gel. Set glasses aside.
- Place frozen strawberries and water in a blender (break up strawberries if needed). Pulse and blend strawberries until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer strawberries to a bowl with a pouring spout and set aside.
- Clean and dry blender, then add frozen yogurt and green yogurt. Pulse and blend until smooth, another 2-3 minutes. Transfer yogurt mix to a bowl with a pouring spout.
- To fill the glasses, you can either 1) Hold the glass so it's tilted to the side and carefully spoon in the yogurt mix. When half full, pour the strawberry mix in the glass, rotating the glass upright as it fills up. Alternatively, you can 2) Pour both the strawberry mix and the yogurt mix in the glass at the same time.
Recipe from Betty Crocker.