"Celebrate the patriotic holidays with delicious fruit pie cookies - a soft butter cookie topped with cream cheese frosting, chopped strawberries, and blueberries."
It’s been way too long since I’ve had some fun with holiday food, and with the Fourth of July just right around the corner I figured I “had best get a move on” (pardon my southern) vetting out our potential menu options. We almost always have plans for Independence Day, but this is the first year I can try to contribute something more than just textbook grill food (although there will still be plenty of that to be had.)
So to start off, I only had to think about the colors of the occasion: red, white, and blue, and of course I immediately thought of of strawberries, cream cheese frosting, and blueberries. Because, yes. Is there really anything else that would be a more perfect fit?
I’ve also been itching for an opportunity to expand on these Cherry Pie Cookies that I posted ages ago, primarily because the butter cookie base bakes up extremely soft and crumbly. So okay, yes, I may have just been looking for an excuse to make these delicious cookies again, but can you blame me? They’re as soft and yummy as they look.
These cookies are also extremely quick to make, topping out at about 30 minutes from start to finish – half of which is just for baking. A quicker dessert means you can devote the rest of your attention to other important things, like rotating meat on the grill, setting off fireworks, and making sure everyone has a cold beer in hand (including yourself).
Or, at least, I know that’s what I’ll be doing come this Fourth of July!
Patriotic Fruit Pie Cookies
Celebrate the patriotic holidays & events with these festive soft butter cookies topped with cream cheese frosting, chopped strawberries, and blueberries.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup margarine softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
Cream Cheese & Fruit Topping
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1/4 cup strawberries hulled and chopped
- 1/4 cup blueberries
For the Butter Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together sugar and flour, then set aside.
- Using a stand mixer (or a hand mixer + large bowl), whip butters together on medium high speed until fluffy, roughly 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla to butter, then beat for another 30 seconds.
- Drop mixer speed to medium. Slowly pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until dough beings to clump. Turn off mixer and use your hands to finish kneading until a smooth dough is formed.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then place on parchment covered baking sheet 2 inches apart. Using your thumb or the bottom of a tablespoon, gently press in the center of each cookie so it forms a well. The cookie dough be in the shape of little bird nests.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to an wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
For the Cream Cheese & Fruit Topping
- Using a stand mixer (or a hand mixer + small bowl), add softened cream cheese, dash of milk, and vanilla extract. Beat on low until combined.
- Keeping speed on low, slowly add powdered sugar. Add more milk or powdered sugar 1 tsp at a time to get desired consistency. Frosting should be a standard thickness.
Putting it all Together
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of frosting in the well of each cookie. Place chopped fruit on top of frosting. Pour remaining frosting in a frosting bag (or in a ziplock bag with the corner cut) and drizzle more cream cheese frosting in decorative stripes across the top of the fruit as desired.
- Allow frosting to dry completely before serving or storing. Cookies can be stored within air tight container in a cool place for up to 5 days.