A creamy casserole made with potatoes, cheese, and savory Italian sausage, all cooked in a tasty white sauce. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or feeding a crowd.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
About Italian Sausage and Potato Casserole
Casseroles are the ideal comfort food. They’re always full of a delicious mix of savory ingredients that everyone is bound to love, and that’s exactly the case with this Italian sausage and potato casserole.
Because, let’s be honest here: when you mix potatoes, cheese, and sausage, you know you’ve got a crowd-pleasing dish, no matter the occasion!
How long is this casserole good for?
Once prepared, leftovers from this casserole can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for three to four days.
Can you freeze this casserole?
Yes, you totally can!
Once prepared and cooled, this casserole can be stored in a sealed container or freezer bag for two to three months.
Notes & tips for this Italian sausage casserole
- Like the grill used in this recipe? You can pick one up here: Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Electric Indoor Grill.
More comforting casserole recipes
How to make Italian sausage casserole
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – Cook the Italian sausages in whatever method you prefer, whether it be a grill, griddle, stovetop, or oven. Once cooked, slice the sausages into bite-sized pieces.
Step 3 – In a 9×13 baking dish, layer the ingredients in the following order: half of the sliced potatoes, half of the sausage, and half of the sauce. Repeat this step to use the other half of the ingredients, then sprinkle the top with the chopped yellow onion. Use a spatula to gently mix and settle ingredients, if needed.
Step 4 – Cover with aluminum foil and bake!
Step 5 – Remove the casserole dish from the oven, discard the foil, then top with cheddar cheese.
Step 6 – Bake again!
Step 5 – Serve and enjoy!
Italian Sausage and Potato Casserole
- Transfer cooked sausage to a paper towel lined plate until sausages are cool enough to handle. Once cool, slice sausage into 1/2 inch bite-sized pieces, then set aside.
- If not already done so, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cream of mushroom, milk, salt, and black pepper until combined, then set aside.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove dish from oven and sprinkle top with cheddar cheese. Return dish to oven and cook, uncovered, until cheese is melted to desired amount, between 3-10 minutes.
- Serve potato and Italian sausage casserole immediately with chopped parsley as garnish (optional).
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.