Add the smooth flavor of caramel and a dash of flaky sea salt to this iconic treat to create soft and gooey squares of salted caramel Rice Krispies treats.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
- About Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats
- What’s in salted caramel Rice Krispies treats?
- How long are Rice Krispies treats good for?
- Can you freeze Rice Krispies treats?
- Notes & tips for salted caramel Rice Krispies treats
- More recipes with caramel
- How to make salted caramel Rice Krispies treats
- Recipe Details
About Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats
Ideal for gifting or snacking, these salted caramel Rice Krispies treats take classic Rice Krispies treats to the next level with a delicious combination of caramel and flaky sea salt.
What’s in salted caramel Rice Krispies treats?
Before whipping up a batch of these treats, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Rice Krispies cereal – a 12 oz box should cover the ingredients for this recipe.
- Mini marshmallows – A core ingredient of any Rice Krispies treat.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Used for flavor and to help with bonding, this is cow’s milk that’s had the water removed. It’s a staple in many treats like this.
- Soft caramels – For the delicious caramel flavoring. Kraft and Werther’s Original sell them as individually wrapped candy.
- Butter, Salt, and Vanilla
- Caramel sauce and flaky sea salt – Used as toppings, but are also completely optional. There’s already plenty of salted caramel flavor in the squares themselves.
How long are Rice Krispies treats good for?
Once prepared, Rice Krispies treats can be stored in a sealed container on the counter for up to one week.
Can you freeze Rice Krispies treats?
Yes, you totally can!
Once prepared, cooled, and cut, wrap each individual Rice Krispies treat square in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag. Rice Krispies treats can be frozen for up to three months.
Notes & tips for salted caramel Rice Krispies treats
- If you’d like to make chocolate salted caramel Rice Krispies treats, try this recipe with chocolate flavored Rice Krispies treats.
- To make this recipe, I used a stockpot because it was big enough to hold all of the ingredients and stir everything together. You should use a saucepan that can easily hold about 10-12 cups.
More recipes with caramel
How to make salted caramel Rice Krispies treats
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – In a stockpot, melt the butter and mix in the sweetened condensed milk.
Step 2 – Add the caramels to the stockpot, then stir until melted and thoroughly mixed.
Step 3 – Add the vanilla and salt, then quickly mix.
Step 4 – Add some of the mini marshmallows, then stir until melted and thoroughly mixed.
Step 5 – Pour in the Rice Krispies cereal and the remaining mini marshmallows, then mix well.
Step 6 – Add the Rice Krispies treat mixture to a parchment paper or aluminum foil lined 9×13 baking dish. Use a piece of parchment paper to gently press down so everything is an even layer. If you’d like, drizzle the top with caramel sauce and flaky sea salt.
Step 7 – Let set.
Step 8 – Serve and enjoy!
Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats
- In a large stockpot over low heat, melt butter.
- Add sweetened condensed milk to stockpot, then mix, stirring constantly, until butter is fully incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add caramels to stockpot, then stir until melted and incorporated, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and salt to stockpot, then mix well.
- Add 6 1/2 cups mini marshmallows to stockpot, then stir until melted, about another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove stockpot from heat. Add Rice Krispies and the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows to the caramel picture, then use a spatula to thoroughly mix and coat cereal.
- Pour Rice Krispies treat mixture into prepared baking dish. Use another piece of parchment paper to gently press the mixture into the pan (not too hard) to create an even, uniform top.
- If desired, drizzle caramel sauce and flaky sea salt over prepared salted caramel Rice Krispies treats.
- Let sit for 30 minutes or until set.
- Serve immediately.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.