About Spiced Fruit Bake
Morning comfort food is the absolute best (especially after a long, busy holiday) and this spiced fruit bake casserole is one of my favorite make-it-and-forget-it breakfast dishes.
Plus, with the sea of baked fruit, a sprinkle of crunchy pecans, and the pop of the red pomegranate seeds, you don’t need to worry about a pretty presentation – this recipe does all the heavy lifting of being tasty and looking effortlessly beautiful.
Can you use fresh fruit?
Yes, you totally can! I personally like to keep this recipe simple and use canned fruit whenever possible, but this recipe will work the same way if you used freshly cut fruit.
The only thing you may need to adjust is the bake time. This recipe was written to include fresh apples, so the current cooking time “should” be enough to bake any other fresh fruits, but adding more fresh fruit to the dish may change that. So before removing the casserole from the oven, I recommend checking the fruit with a fork to ensure that it’s cooked to your liking. It shouldn’t take more than another five minutes to bake through.
Can you make this fruit bake in advance?
Yes, you can! I’ll admit I have not done this myself, but casserole dishes like this are ideal for making the night before.
Just prepare the recipe up until you’ve poured the hot sugar sauce on top, then cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to bake, let the casserole warm up on the countertop for 30 to 60 minutes, then bake and finish the recipe as written.
More great breakfast recipes
More recipes with fruit
How to make a spiced fruit bake
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – In a large bowl, toss together the apples, lemon juice, pineapple chunks, pear halves, and peach halves.
Step 2 – Pour the mixed fruit into a greased baking dish, then sprinkle pecans on top.
Step 3 – Heat up a saucepan and add the brown sugar, pineapple juice, butter, and cinnamon. Cook and whisk until the butter has melted and mixture begins to bubble.
Step 4 – Pour the sugar sauce over the fruit and pecans.
Step 5 – Bake!
Step 6 – Serve spiced fruit bake immediately with pomegranate seeds sprinkled on top.
Spiced Fruit Bake
This spiced fruit bake is a fast and easy breakfast casserole made with apples, pineapple, pears, peaches, pecans, pomegranate seeds, and a touch of cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a wide baking dish (that can hold 10 cups or 2 1/2 quart) with cooking spray, then set aside.
In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice until coated.
- Drain pineapple chunks and reserve 1/4 cup juice; set juice aside. Add drained pineapple chunks to bowl with apples.
- Add drained peach and pear halves to bowl, then toss thoroughly to mix.
- Pour fruit into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Top with halved pecans. Set baking dish aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and reserved pineapple juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved and butter has melted (mixture does not need to boil).
- Pour heated sauce evenly over fruit in baking dish.
- Bake fruit, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Serve immediately with pomegranate seeds sprinkled on top.