About Sweet Potato Casserole
I’m a sucker for holiday side dishes, and nothing says holidays and side dishes quite like sweet potato casserole.
I especially love this version of the classic casserole, because the two layers are very defined. The sweet potato mixture is mostly savory with only a touch of sweet, while the topping is all pecans, sugar, and marshmallow goodness. It gives this casserole a good variety and different flavor profiles while you eat.
Plus, we all know that people can be picky about the sweetness of a sweet potato casserole. With this version, it’s easy for guests to scoop out the parts they like and leave the rest for someone else.
Can you make sweet potato casserole the night before?
Yes, you totally can!
To make the night before: follow the recipe instructions up until placing the sweet potato mixture into the baking dish. For best results, hold off on adding the pecans, sugar, and marshmallows until you’re ready to bake.
Once that’s done, just cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator. Before baking, let the casserole warm up on the counter for 30 minutes, then follow the rest of the recipe instructions like normal.
Can you freeze sweet potato casserole?
Yes, this casserole can be frozen, but it should be cooked first. There is an egg in this casserole and eggs don’t always fair well when frozen raw.
To freeze a cooked sweet potato casserole, whether it’s whole or leftovers: let the casserole cool to room temperature, then store in a sealed container. For best results, frozen sweet potato casserole should be eaten within two months.
When ready to eat, let the casserole thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Due to the marshmallows, reheating this casserole in the microwave is probably your best bet.
Notes & tips for this easy sweet potato casserole
- Don’t like marshmallows? No problem! Marshmallows (as well as the pecans) are an optional topping, so you can completely skip that step if you’d like. Just bake the casserole for 30 minutes total, then serve.
More great side dishes
Other tasty casserole recipes
How to make sweet potato casserole with marshmallows
Step 3 – Add the potato mixture to a baking dish, then smooth out into an even layer. Cover the top with chopped pecans and more brown sugar.
Step 4 – Bake!
Step 5 – Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle some mini marshmallows on top.
Step 6 – Bake again until the tops of the marshmallows turn a pretty golden brown.
Step 7 – Serve and enjoy!
Sweet Potato Casserole
- Pour sweet potato mixutre into prepared baking dish and smooth into an even layer.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans and remaining 1/4 cup bown sugar on top of potato mixture.
- Bake casserole for 25 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven, then sprinkle mini marshmallows evenly across the top.
- Return the casserole to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or until the top of the marshmallows begin to turn golden brown.
- Serve sweet potato casserole immediately.