This tortellini pasta salad features al dente tortellini mixed with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, red onion, and basil, all coated in a vinaigrette dressing.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
- About Tortellini Pasta Salad
- What is tortellini pasta salad?
- How long does this pasta salad last?
- Can you freeze tortellini pasta salad?
- What kind of tortellini should you use?
- What can you serve with pasta salad?
- Notes & this for this pasta salad
- More delicious salads
- How to make tortellini pasta salad
- Recipe Details
About Tortellini Pasta Salad
With delicious tortellini, fresh veggies, and a simple homemade vinaigrette, dishes like this tortellini pasta salad are made for traveling (potlucks and cookout galore!) or as a simple side dish to any meal.
What is tortellini pasta salad?
To keep it short and sweet, tortellini pasta salad is a bowl of cooked and cooled pasta mixed with vegetables and an oil-based dressing. It’s essentially a salad… with pasta. A perfect side dish for pasta and salad lovers alike.
How long does this pasta salad last?
Once prepared, tortellini pasta salad can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Before serving, be sure to check the consistency of the sauce; the pasta will absorb the liquid from the dressing over time, so you might need to add a dash more oil and vinegar to keep the salad from being tacky.
Can you freeze tortellini pasta salad?
Yes, you can, but keep an eye on the dressing. The oil and vinegar might separate during the process of freezing and thawing, but you should be able to mix the ingredients again to get the dressing to incorporate once more.
Once prepared, tortellini pasta salad can be stored in the freezer for one to two months.
What kind of tortellini should you use?
This recipe suggests using three cheese tortellini, but you can use any flavor, filling, or brand that you’d like. The dressing and vegetables are mild and should complement any type of tortellini.
What can you serve with pasta salad?
Salads like this do well with protein-heavy and potluck-favorite main dishes, such as:
- Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- Baked Stuffed Flank Steak
- Jerk Chicken Skewers
- Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Homemade Corn Dogs
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Sweet Crock Pot Pulled Pork
- Breaded Dijon Chicken Skewers
- Brown Sugar Italian Chicken
Notes & this for this pasta salad
- If you don’t already have one, you’ll need an extra large bowl to mix all of the ingredients together.
More delicious salads
How to make tortellini pasta salad
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – Prepare the tortellini per package instructions, then rinse well with cold water. Set the pasta aside for now.
Step 3 – Add the cooked pasta, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, red onion, and basil to the bowl, then use a spatula to toss to coat well in the dressing.
Step 4 – Serve and enjoy!
Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 1 lb three cheese tortellini, or any type that you'd like
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mozzarella pearls, (small cheese balls)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large stockpot, cook tortellini per package instructions. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Set pasta aside.
- Add the cooked pasta, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, red onion, and basil to bowl. Use a spatula to thoroughly toss to coat ingredients with dressing.
- Serve tortellini pasta salad immediately.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.