"A refreshing watermelon alcoholic punch with hints of citrus and spiked with white rum. It's the perfect watermelon cooler to beat the heat!"
Summer is still in full swing, and in my house, that still means there’s plenty of good reasons to whip up this watermelon alcoholic punch.
Because, summer. I think we can all agree that the heat this year has been crazy, and what better way is there to beat it than basking in the refreshing taste of a delicious watermelon drink with hints of citrus and spiked with white rum?
I certainly don’t know a better way!
This drink actually came about because watermelons were on sale at our local grocery store, and as always, that brought up the story about how The Husband knows how to select the perfect watermelon. Now, I certainly don’t question his skills – the watermelons he’s picked over the past decade have always been great – but this year he had some competition in judgment, as this is the first summer my mother has been with us.
She was with me in the store when we picked the watermelons. And, of course, The Husband did his customary second review of our haul once we brought them home.
My mother thought both watermelons were good.
The Husband, however, insisted that one would be far better than the other.
So which watermelon ended up being the best to use for this watermelon alcoholic punch?
Well, if you ask me and my mother, we would have said both. I’m just happy to have watermelon at all, and she was proud of her choices. The Husband, however, stuck to his guns and insisted that his pick was still the best.
But you know what? In the end, I think both watermelons tasted equally good in this watermelon cooler.
tips & notes for this watermelon rum punch:
- Want to know how you can ensure you always buy a great-tasting watermelon? Check out this article on the best way to pick a watermelon. There are a couple different ways and, in my experience, they all seem to work pretty well. My mother relies on method #2 while The Husband used method #3!
- Like the glasses used in these pictures? You can get a similar set here: Gold Dot Wine Glasses.
- You’ll also need a trusty food processor for this recipe. I bought the Ninja Blender System almost 10 years ago and it hasn’t failed me yet!
- If you like this recipe, be sure to check out this one for Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade!
Watermelon Rum Punch
A refreshing watermelon alcoholic punch with hints of citrus and spiked with white rum. It's the perfect watermelon cooler to beat the heat!
- 8 cup seedless watermelon cut into 1 or 2 inch cubes
- 1 cup light rum
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 cup ginger beer (about 12oz)
In food processor, blend watermelon until smooth, about 1-3 minutes.
Pour watermelon juice into a large pitcher with light rum, orange juice, lime juice. Stir to combine.
When ready to serve, add ginger beer to pitcher, then stir to combine.
Pour watermelon rum punch over ice and enjoy!
Recipe from Good Housekeeping.