White Russian Cocktail
Enjoy the iconic White Russian Cocktail with this easy recipe! Made with vodka, coffee liqueur, and heavy cream for a perfect layering effect.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
About White Russian Cocktail
A classic drink that’s perfect for any occasion, this white Russian cocktail is a creamy and delicious spirit that your guests (and you!) are guaranteed to enjoy.
Made with just a few simple ingredients, this cocktail is easy to make but sure to impress – and this recipe will explain exactly how to get that perfect layering effect.
So whether you’re a seasoned cocktail pro or a newcomer to mixology, you won’t want to miss this tasty treat. Grab your shaker and let’s get started!
What is a white Russian cocktail?
The White Russian is a classic cocktail made by combining vodka, coffee liqueur, and cream, all served over ice in an old-fashioned glass. To make it, you can either shake the ingredients together in a cocktail shaker (like the one shown here), or you can pour the components carefully to create a stunning visual effect with the layers of cream and alcohol.
The name “White Russian” comes from the heavy cream used in the recipe, and the “Russian” part is a nod to the origins of vodka in Russia. This cocktail was first created and served at the Hotel Metropole in Belgium during the 1940s.
What’s in a traditional white Russian?
To whip up your own classic white Russian, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Vodka – A classic ingredient for cocktails, and any brand can be used. You can also mix things up by using any flavor of vodka that would pair well with coffee. I typically use brands such as Smirnoff when for mixed drinks.
- Kahlua – Another staple to a white Russian: coffee liqueur.
- Heavy whipping cream – The essential ingredient that gives the “white” Russian its name. If you find heavy cream to be too much, you can replace it with milk or other dairy alternatives. However, bear in mind that using a thinner cream may result in less layering effect in the drink.
Notes & tips for this cocktail
- This drink can also be made with a cocktail shaker – just add all the ingredients, shake, then pour!
More delicious cocktail recipes
How to make a white Russian cocktail
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – In a short cocktail glass, add some ice, filling it up about halfway.
Step 2 – Pour vodka and Kahlua over the ice.
Step 3 – Pour in the heavy whipping cream! TIP: For a more even spread of cream, hold a spoon upside down over the mouth of the glass, then pour the heavy cream over the spoon so that the cream drizzles down.
Step 4 – Serve and enjoy!
White Russian Cocktail
- Fill a cocktail glass halfway with ice.
- Pour vodka and Kahlua into prepared glass.2 ounces vodka, 1 ounce Kahlua
- Hold a spoon over mouth of glass, upside down. Very slowly, pour heavy cream over back of spoon so that cream slides off into glass.1 ounce heavy whipping cream
- Serve immediately.
I do my best to provide nutrition information, but please keep in mind that I’m not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates of the correct values.